How do you like to receive love/affection?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

How do you like to receive love/affection?

Unread post by Amanda F »

Every kind of relationship - romantic, sexual, platonic - can (and should!) involved an exchange of some kind of good feelings from everyone involved. How do you like the people in your life to show you that they care about you? Do you like physical affection, like hugs or kisses? Is sex a way of showing this (in sexual relationships)? Maybe you enjoy being taken out for a tasty treat? Share what makes you feel most loved and cared for. And if you haven't already told the people in your life, consider sharing it with them, too!
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How do you like to receive love/affection?

Unread post by al »

For me, I love when my partner goes out of their way to fix something practical in our shared space- cleaning the dishes, or doing the laundry, or making a really nice dinner. After long days at work it's always so nice to come home to things that I was kind of dreading having to do all day already done. (But I make sure to participate in my share of household labor as well!) <3
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I really like a "I saw this and I thought of you" type message or gift from someone. Usually this involves loved ones sending me pictures of hedgehogs or something similar that they know I like; every once in a while I've gotten a small gift that made someone think of me and I appreciate it so much every time this happens. I like knowing that people remember what I like and want to share that with me.
I do also like a lot of touch, so physical affection is important too. It doesn't have to be sexual contact, just hanging out while someome pets my hair, gives me a back/footrub, etc. is really soothing for me and helps me feel loved.
RadiantRay
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make sex positive/NSFW embroidery hoops
Sexual identity: Female, LGBTQ

Unread post by RadiantRay »

I love these discussions! Sometimes a hug goes such a long way for me, or even sitting closer together on the couch - even platonically - it makes me feel emotionally close when I have a close physical proximity. Encouraging words are also appreciated! More and more, I find myself valuing time with people that doesn't involve any technology. Going thrifting, getting a cup of coffee, talking a walk, just allowing conversation to flow without phones being a distraction!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I'm big on affectionate touch, things like being held or having someone play with my hair, because I find it comforting as well as loving. Also, it feels good (I totally get why cats like being pet)!

Compliments or otherwise talking fondly is also important to me, both in terms of how I receive affection and how I give it. My brain can be really negative at times, so it's really nice to have someone saying things that remind me that they care about me.
Dreampuff
Awesomeness Quotient: I smile a lot.
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Dreampuff »

I like a lot of hands-on affection. I'm not talking about always getting groped, I just mean lots of hugging, touching, playing with hair, pats on the back or shoulders, etc. I think it's really sweet and feels personal without being too much or not enough.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

I like a lot of the typical things, but one thing I particularly appreciate is little love notes that my girlfriend leaves me. they're so cute and just tiny little outpourings of love and it warms my heart
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

also, casual "feeling up" that doesn't necessarily lead to sex is another show of affection in our relationship (Consensual, of course, but usually non verbal consent works well enough)
Afte.rmath
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Definitely not me
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Male Heterosexual

Unread post by Afte.rmath »

I’m not the kind of person that loves a lot of touching, but when the right person comes, I open up and allow more contact.

Non-sexually, I like just being able to spend time and talk together. Maybe cuddling too.

Sexually, anything you can consider foreplay is good for me.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

big dramatic declarations of love are also a very big thing for me. Maybe it's from my love of purple prose, but it just warms my heart so much <3
Zoia
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I try to be open minded
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Zoia »

This thread kind of made me realize, I don't really know.
I find that certain areas of my body are very sensitive- ticklish sensitive, so I don't like to be touched there. I really like that intimacy without being intimate thing. Snuggling, cuddling on the couch, watching a movie, just being near each other without having that expectation to have sex later, or that it will lead into sex.
Honestly though, I would really love to receive a bouquet of flowers. Just once of those nice little gestures like 'Hey, I see you, and just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you too'.
KC
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make really good pie
Primary language: English, french
Pronouns: he/they
Sexual identity: queer?? Gay??

Unread post by KC »

sometimes just small thoughtful gestures, Like cute notes or even just being like "here's a cute rock bc you're cute." And also cuddles cuddles cuddles. Nothing is better than being held whether it's romantically or in a platonic way.
0PT1M15T1C
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can build things
Pronouns: They/He
Sexual identity: I don't really know anymore

Unread post by 0PT1M15T1C »

When I think of what I want in a relationship, and how I want to receive love and affection I really look at my parents' relationship. I love all the little jokes they leave for each other, the cute notes, or even the way when my mom comes home after a long day at work the first person she looks for is my dad. That's what I want, and what I enjoy when my friends/family and I do.

I think also good morning texts are awesome, it's a really nice thing to wake up to, checking your phone and seeing a text as simple as "morning, cutie" is just lovely.
You have the power to say "This is not how my story will end".
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

sameee. unprompted little signs of affection are great
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic