Online dating?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Hel
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Any

Online dating?

Unread post by Hel »

So I don't really try to meet people online... but I figured since I'm interested in casual dating and I'm not at school yet, maybe I could try online dating?

I am really concerned about my safety on the internet. I use fake birthdays and don't reveal all my info, and try to background check who I talk to. Is that good enough?

That being said, what online dating sites are (FREE - very important) and safe for someone in their mid-teens, like me? Is OkCupid safe, because I heard it's free and LGBTQ+ inclusive.

This is new territory for me so please let me know what sites are the best. <3
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Online dating?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Hel,

Being cagey about identifying details (especially things that could give away your address) and vetting anyone you're interested in are both good calls when online dating. We actually have a primer on online dating safety that you might get some use from: Getting Real: Relationships on the Net.

That being said, I wouldn't lie about your age, or put yourself on dating apps aimed at adults. Not only is that not safe for you (and likely against the terms of service on many of them), it creates a sort of no-win scenario: any safe person who finds you're underage will bow out of the interaction. Meaning that the people who are willing to keep flirting with you after they learn you're a minor are not safe people for you to enter a relationship with.

There aren't man dating apps or platforms for folks under 18, but you may have some luck using this as a starting place: https://www.reddit.com/r/MeetTeens/.
Hel
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Any

Unread post by Hel »

Okay, the article is really helpful for me. Thanks!
I will check out the Reddit and won’t use the dating sites intended for adults.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome, and I'm glad it was helpful!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic