Breakups while Bipolar

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
BuddyBoi21
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My Eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them/theirs
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Breakups while Bipolar

Unread post by BuddyBoi21 »

Hey y'all,

So I deeply appreciate the advice I've been given thus far on coping with my breakup from last month. Big problem I've noticed is that it's triggered my bipolar symptoms so sure I allow myself to feel sad now but it alternates due to being bipolar I feel like. So instead of being consistently sad and then moving past that to get on with my life it feels like I'm alternating between being completely fine and then suddenly falling apart. It's not fun because I feel like I'm starting to make steps toward just focusing on other things and then BOOM depression hits and I have no motivation, I can't eat, my hobbies aren't fun/helping, etc.

Can anyone else relate to bipolar greatly effecting how they recover from certain events? Anyone have any advice on how to better address this and hopefully relieve/manage (most) of the returning symptoms?

Thanks in advance!
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: Breakups while Bipolar

Unread post by Carly »

Hey Buddyboi 21 -- I know you've talked about seeing a therapist in a different thread, but I also wanted to check in about other care and care providers. Is your therapist the person prescribed you the medication you mentioned before? Did you end up trying that medication again, or talking to a doctor about other medication options? I just wanted to encourage you to consider bringing this up with them just in case you haven't. Sometimes our doctors have a more insight on how to relieve and manage specific symptoms, especially if you're experiencing them as intensely as you are right now. Have you taken any steps in this direction since your last thread?
BuddyBoi21
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My Eyes
Pronouns: they/them/theirs
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Re: Breakups while Bipolar

Unread post by BuddyBoi21 »

Hey Carly,

I see a therapist and a psychiatrist. I was finally able to meet with my psychiatrist and we're trying the medication that I felt very wary on in the past under these current circumstances in hopes my symptoms improve rather than worsen. Now that I'm not under as much stress from school and a few other stressors I'm hoping it works out while I'm still waiting to meet with my therapist. We did briefly discuss other medication options but my psychiatrist also encourages me to get ahold of my therapist as soon as I can (which I'm working on).

Until then I'll keep reaching out to different forums to find folks with bipolar disorder to see if others can relate to what I'm going through. Thank you for checking in!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic