Achievable???

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
ztyu1234
Pronouns: me

Achievable???

Unread post by ztyu1234 »

I am a caretaker for an elderly family member (mother) plus I am juggling a relationship in which my partner feels slighted and resentful that we aren't able to spend much time together due to me taking care of My family member 24/7, and also due to Covid. My partner doesn't understand or cares not to try. well they say that they understand that my family member comes and the pandemic limited interactions but they often express their unhappiness with the situation. Should I breakup with them because I believe that an achievable successful prosperous relationship can happen still in the dynamic , and they're unsure of it? I give up my moments of solitude and free time which may vary from a half an hour to an hour each day to see them, but they feel it isn't enough and are feeling unwanted and unsettled. Should I just not date anyone due to my situation, until it improves? Everyone that I've ever dated has had a problem with it. Maybe they just weren't right for me? Can a successful relationship be achieved while being a caregiver?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Achievable???

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi ztyu1234,

To answer your last question first: yes, a successful romantic relationship is possible for someone who is a caregiver. The situation may narrow your dating pool some, because as you've discovered there are people for whom dating someone in a caregiver role doesn't mesh with what they want and need from a relationship. But there are people out there who will be both interested in dating you and able to roll with the ways that being a caregiver influences the relationship.

Between this thread and your previous one, it sounds like the relationship with this partner may be coming to an end. You're both unhappy or frustrated with how things are going, and they're to the point of wanting to take a break. The kindest move for you both may be to go ahead and officially end things, you know?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic