How do I prepare for a date?

Questions and discussions about relationships: girlfriends, boyfriends, lovers, partners, friends, family or other intimate relationships in your lives.
Hel
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Any

How do I prepare for a date?

Unread post by Hel »

How should I prepare myself for my first-ever date? I had a boyfriend in the past, but we never went out on any kind of official date. I have just been asked out by a guy I am crushing on, and I would really like to make my best impression. I also don't know him too well - though I know he is a very nerdy guy, and has a lot of different hobbies.

Any tips on how to have a good date, which will (hopefully) lead to another?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: How do I prepare for a date?

Unread post by Mo »

It's exciting that you have a first date coming up! One approach to a first date that I think can be helpful is to think of it as a time when you're both learning more about each other and figuring out if you want to have a second (third, etc.) date. It's great to put your best foot forward but to also keep in mind that you're looking to see if the other person is putting in effort too, and how well you click together when spending time one on one.
It sounds like this guy has a bunch of interests and hobbies that you at least know a little about; if any of your interests overlap, that might be a good conversation starter! Or you could ask about something you know he likes and that you find interesting but don't know a lot about. What I'd watch for here is some reciprocity; if someone loves to talk about their own interests or experiences but doesn't take a moment to ask about your interests or opinions, that can be a bit of a red flag.
Have you established what you're going to be doing on your date?
Hel
not a newbie

Unread post by Hel »

Thanks for the advice!

We’re getting ice cream at the lake tomorrow, which I am really looking forward to. :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

That sounds like a lot of fun! And like a situation where Mo's advice can come in handy during conversations.
Hel
not a newbie

Unread post by Hel »

Thanks for all the help! We had a lot of deep conversations, and we talked about hobbies and other things like that. He asked me to go to dinner with him this weekend, so hopefully that will work out as well.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

That sounds like a pretty good date to me! I'm glad it went well and that you have another one lined up soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic