self karada tie?

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

self karada tie?

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

(hypothetically) for one who has little to no experience with rope, would making a non-restraining or barely restraining karada tie, rope dress, whatever you want to call it on oneself be inadvisable?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: self karada tie?

Unread post by Heather »

I don't see why it would.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
yvaine
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm totally fearless and will try almost anything
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/pansexual

Unread post by yvaine »

Oooh, I actually know this one! Ok, so it CAN BE safe to do if you look into it first, I've done it many times as a solitary practitioner (to look awesome {holy heck, tits look good in rope :D } and to just wear under clothes and feel all secretly kinky and whatnot) but there's some stuff you gotta know!
Safety stuff:
1. Make sure you have scissors before you do anything for emergency loosening
2. The minute a knot starts to feel too tight or uncomfortable, loosen or get rid of it
3. No knots where you can't see 'em (i.e. behind you) is a good rule of thumb, try just twisting or crossing the rope behind you and then coming round the front for knots
4. Be careful with wrists as this (and the throat) is where most accidents happen- if you're alone try to keep any ropework above mid forearm if you can

I am not a doctor or anything! Here's some more extensive rope safety advice:
http://southernsirsplace.com/shibari-sa ... pe-safety/
(and you should probably google shibari safety and look around just to be sure)
and also this comic is perfect and also covers most of my points so definitely check it out:
https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/comics/2013 ... pe.jpg.jpg

Absolutely do it, get your rope and have some safe, kinky fun!
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

ok so I tried it a while ago in a video call with my girlfriend and I could barely get past the point of even making a basic loop and finding where my sternum was! LOL
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Unread post by Elise »

Like with most learned skills, they can be a bit tricky to get right at first. Did you know that Shibari classes are things that exist IRL with trained folks running them? Of course, it is important to do your research and see if they are reputable (getting recommendations from local kink communities can be a way to do this), and whether they are following the COVID safety practices in your area and are very on top of their rope safety practices. Some might be offering online classes at the moment too, if you are interested in exploring this further with your partner.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

oh gosh my partner and I are far too anxious to engage in any kind of even sex-adjacent thing with another person in that capacity, but I definitely would be interested in like, video tutorials, books, or blogs
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi bikinksterboy,

One thing to try would be to check out an independent sex toy store, either online or in person if there's one in your area. They tend to curate their books and videos really carefully, and often have things like beginners guides to shibari on hand. They also ten to have staff who can offer you recommendations of books or videos that match your needs and interests.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic