How do you practice aftercare? A question for everyone!

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
Amanda B
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm an excellent cook!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: still figuring it out

How do you practice aftercare? A question for everyone!

Unread post by Amanda B »

Sexual experiences are exciting opportunities to connect with yourself and others. It can be a moment of intense emotion and pleasure, where everything feels good. After the sexual experience, however, such an intense encounter can sometimes need additional care after the fact. This is where aftercare comes in. Aftercare refers to continuing to tend to yourself or your partner(s) following a sexual encounter. You can read more about this lovely idea from one of our articles as well: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/rela ... _aftercare

Practicing aftercare can be a great way of ensuring everyone's needs are met after a sexual experience. Some of my favorite methods of practicing aftercare include cuddling, having my partner rub my back, and watching a comforting television show. While some of these actions can feel automatic after a sexual encounter, it's nice to bring intention to the experience, and deliberately check in with yourself and/or partner(s) to see what they need. Now I'd like to hear from you! How do you practice aftercare?