Heavy bleeding after losing virginity

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
sen
not a newbie
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Heavy bleeding after losing virginity

Unread post by sen »

I experienced heavy bleeding with clots after having sex. I went to the bathroom and the blood gushed out for a few times and some with big clots. I felt bit of pain during sex but later on did not and suddenly realized I was gushing out blood. Stayed inside the bathroom for minutes and the blood was keep on flowing heavily. My period is about 2 weeks away. I don't want to go to the doctor yet. Did anyone have the same experience as I?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Heavy bleeding after losing virginity

Unread post by Heather »

Clotting generally isn't something that will happen with any kind of vaginal bleeding that isn't related to pregnancy or another major health issue. Even with menstruation, what people often think are clots are not, but instead blood mixed with discharge or endometrial tissue.

Can you tell me if the sex this happened after with was violent, forceful or very painful? Do you feel like you sustained an injury, separate from the bleeding?

Also, when you say heavy flow, what does that mean? Are you using pads or tampons to manage it? If so, how many within a couple hours?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
sen
not a newbie

Unread post by sen »

The sex was painful at first but later on the pain subsided, it became tolerable, then when he pushed it inside me all of a sudden I felt something that poked me in my lower abdomen and noticed a sudden gushed of blood. I did not sustain any injuries at all. I used 6 pads in a span of 3 hours. An hour later, a huge clot went outside of me and the bleeding gradually decreases. Right now I'm bleeding minimally like on my last day of period.

I bled heavily for about 3-4 hrs.
We did not really have a foreplay so I'm guessing that's one of the factors also.

My period is regular though at times it will come out late due to stress.
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Carly »

Hey sen -- I do think it would be a good idea to see a doctor sooner than later. 6 pads in 3 hours is indicating the kind of excessive bleeding more aligned with an internal injury. That's also quite a lot of bleeding for a period too, to put it into perspective. I'd advise the same thing in that scenario too. When you said you didn't want to go just yet in your initial post, what did you mean? Is it just that you wanted to hear our perspective, or is there another barrier?

It's very important to view what many consider "foreplay" as sex; sex is not just the act of putting a penis somewhere. Our page What Is Foreplay? goes into that perspective, and I think it would be good for you to read over. I'm assuming from your post that you didn't do activities typically categorized as foreplay, which I think could have contributed to the bleeding and the pain. When people with vaginas become aroused, their vagina will naturally lubricate, which enhances the ease and pleasure of vaginal intercourse. Often people refer to this as "getting wet." Your vaginal opening will also loosen a little. Though your brain is feeling ready to have sex, sometimes your physical body needs some extra time or focus. Without enough lubrication, tears or other injuries can happen within the vagina during sex.

I also wanted to check in about your experience losing your virginity, this bleeding aside. How are you feeling? Do you have any questions about that?
sen
not a newbie

Unread post by sen »

After 3 hours the bleeding was minimal. I'm on my second day and it's still bleeding a little. I'm a bit scared to go to the doctor and financial reasons.

He just touched me here and there but come to think of it now, I think you're right, my body wasn't that aroused yet.

I'm honestly confused on what to feel about it. I'm a bit scared and anxious. I honestly don't know what to do.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I need to back up Carly here: this is a lot of bleeding, to the point that I'm not even sure how related to sex this was (save maybe something like a burst internal cyst because of some pressure on your abdomen). I think you need to go get healthcare -- and an ER might be better -- even thought this bleeding has slowed. I just think you need to make sure something isn't going on where you need care.

I also do not think you even need to tell a healthcare provider about the sex if you don't want to. My gut feeling is just that of the possibilities based on what you are describing, this isn't about anyone's penis so much as it might be about the pressure of anything -- a person, pants, etc -- on your abdomen.

How can we help you to get that care?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
sen
not a newbie

Unread post by sen »

Thank you so much. I'm getting a doctor's appointment later. I really appreciate all of your concerns.
Sofi
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Sofi »

Great! Please keep us posted if you aren't able to receive care or if anything changes. <3
sen
not a newbie

Unread post by sen »

Update: The doctor said I had a vaginal tear and prescribed me some medicines. I'll be returning next friday for a follow-up exam.

I feel much better and less anxious knowing that it was not that severe of a situation.

Thank you so much everyone for encouraging me and sharing your thoughts and concerns. <3
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi sen,

I'm glad the appointment went well! Can I ask how the doctor came to that conclusion? Did they just do a visual exam of your vagina or did they check for other things as well?
Neil

Unread post by Neil »

I experienced heavy bleeding with clots after he put the tip of his penis in my vagina and he did tht once nand i stoped him, I went to the bathroom and saw the blood dropping out and some with big clots. I felt bit of pain during sex, but later on just felt a tiny pain .i Stayed inside the bathroom for minutes and the blood was keep on flowing heavily. I dont know wat to do .Did anyone have the same experience as I?
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Neil,

Looking at this full thread, do you think you're potentially experiencing what sen did? And are you still bleeding from this incident, or did you bleed right after it and then it stopped?
ohallthesefeels

Unread post by ohallthesefeels »

sen wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:07 am I experienced heavy bleeding with clots after having sex. I went to the bathroom and the blood gushed out for a few times and some with big clots. I felt bit of pain during sex but later on did not and suddenly realized I was gushing out blood. Stayed inside the bathroom for minutes and the blood was keep on flowing heavily. My period is about 2 weeks away. I don't want to go to the doctor yet. Did anyone have the same experience as I?
hey, I experienced the exact same thing! How are you now and have you had sex again? I'm really afraid to do it again in case it hurts/I bleed so intensely again, so I was wondering how your experience has been like!
Shy1

Unread post by Shy1 »

I lost my virginity at 16 ,I’m now 21 and still wondering what happened to me. I had this same experience, it was only the tip the person was gentle, my stomach started hurting immediately then blood started gushing, I was going through at least 3/4 large night time pads in 1 hour. I even fainted, the clots were abnormally large (they were almost the size of my palm) I was losing too much blood, I was lightheaded and dizzy all whilst my stomach was hurting. This bleeding and clotting carried on up until I went sleep till the next day. Me and the boy then tried again on two separate occasions and the same thing followed, we stopped trying for a couple months and then I was perfectly fine. My period on these times weren’t due for a good while so it also wasn’t that. I didn’t know anyone else had this experience, I would love to know what was going on with me. I didn’t go to the doctors or tell anyone because I was young and scared. If anyone has answers please let me know.
Willa
Awesomeness Quotient: I think I am silly and love making ppl laugh
Sexual identity: bisexual woman

Unread post by Willa »

Hi Shy1,

I'm sorry that your first experience was so painful and scary. That amount of blood coupled with your description of the clots definitely was not normal and may be indicative of some sort of internal injury. Do you still experience any pain or blood during penetration? Also have you ever followed up with a medical care provider about that experience or for your general vaginal health? Based on the fact that it occurred 5 years ago the injury most likely has since healed- but I would suggest, especially if you still are experiencing pain or bleeding, mentioning the event to a doctor just in the event you sustained some injury that was never properly cared for.
Shy1

Unread post by Shy1 »

Hi I don’t experience any pain , not since then , but it does confuse me of how it could of been an injury if he was gentle it really does puzzle me
Willa
Awesomeness Quotient: I think I am silly and love making ppl laugh
Sexual identity: bisexual woman

Unread post by Willa »

Shy1,

Another possibility was that your vagina was not in a relaxed or aroused enough state to fully receive penetration, resulting in an insufficient production or presence of lubrication. Even if he was "gentle", without foreplay often times many individuals with vaginas find penetration very uncomfortable and this could still result in irritation or injury. Of course I can not say for sure this was the cause, but this is another possibility.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic