Confusion about condom usage

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
ivleo
Awesomeness Quotient: My humor
Primary language: Italian
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: Straight

Confusion about condom usage

Unread post by ivleo »

Hello!
This is my first post on here :) I’ve used your resources many times to understand little things about sex that weren’t so clear to me before. I became sexually active this year, so I don’t have a lot of experience. I actually am very confused about a specific topic: flipped condoms. I’ve read many times on here that condoms should be immediately thrown away if they are put on the wrong way, as that could be potentially dangerous. However, here is where my confusion kicks in: what is this “danger” exactly? I know for a fact that activities, such as fingering, can’t cause a pregnancy, even when pre cum is present. So, how would a flipped condom be any different? Is it more concerning from an STD standpoint, or does it actually increase the risk of pregnancy? This wasn’t mentioned anywhere, and I’m genuinely interested in receiving an answer from you. Thanks in advance!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Confusion about condom usage

Unread post by Heather »

Hi there, ivleo, welcome to the boards. :)

So, the issue is primarily about pathogens, you've got that right. Whatever pathogens -- be that about STIs or other bacteria -- might have been on the penis can get transferred to the inside of the condom, so if you flip it, they would get transferred to the body of your partner.

Now, if there was pre-ejaculate on the penis, and this was about vaginal sex, and the condom the only contraception, then that, too, could be a risk, though it would be a very, very slight one (I'd almost call it theoretical, but you know, some people have very sensitive reproductive systems). The infection risks are the real issue, but those aren't anything to overlook.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
ivleo
Awesomeness Quotient: My humor
Primary language: Italian
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by ivleo »

That makes perfect sense! It is just so confusing at times, you know? I hear so many different opinions, and I truly cannot choose one that actually makes sense!
I mean, I also thought about the whole thing by myself, and, as you said, the risk really comes from the potential STI that could be transmitted from the fluids. Pregnancy-wise, wouldn’t the lube on the condom actually limit sperm? I know that most don’t have spermicide, but I still find it hard that sperm could survive in that type of environment.
Urna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Urna »

Hi ivleo,

Yes, it can get confusing, mostly because there's a lot of fearmongering and misinformation out there, I think! But then again, bodies are so variable, and reproductive systems are no exception.

Lube doesn't actually limit sperm, it just slows it down and limits its ability to move spontaneously, much like saliva does. There are special lubes that don't affect sperm motility, but this is the case for most types of lube. This article goes into the survival of sperm in different environments: Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?.
<3333
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic