Gay Energy

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
idk anymore
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a pretty good sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Pan, mostly

Gay Energy

Unread post by idk anymore »

So, there's been a massive surge in lgbtq+ pride in my grade in recent months, which is great. But it's causing a lot of problems for me...

1. So I fit into the republican camp on most political issues. With the lgbtq+ pride there's been a lot of pushback from people who are against it, who are USUALLY on the right side of the political spectrum. I feel like I don't fit into either group. I'm a right winger so I don't fit in with most of the LGBTQ+ supporters in my grade, but I'm also bisexual so I get extremely uncomfortable when people make fun of it. What do I do?

2. A lot of people in my grade have started projecting their views on other people. I'm constantly being told that I emulate "gay energy" which not only makes me really uncomfortable, but makes other guys avoid me. What am I supposed to do about that? I cant just lie to people
I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're an asshole.

~Morgan Freeman
idk anymore
not a newbie

Re: Gay Energy

I would like to reiterate that there are many lqbtq+ people who are republican, however, gay rights is more often supported by democrats
I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're an asshole.

~Morgan Freeman
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Sofi »

I'm sorry you've been feeling targeted from several sides, for both your sexual orientation and your political views. I want you to try to ignore people who say things like "you emulate gay energy" because that is not worth giving your attention and time to. You don't have to lie to people because you don't owe people an explanation at all regarding your sexual orientation. That being said, you should (if comfortable) speak up to the people making fun of the LGBTQ+ community - whether you're a part of it, or it you weren't. Especially as someone who has an "in" with the right wing classmates, they're likely willing to hear you out. If they aren't, perhaps that's a moment to reconsider if they're really a group you want to be associated with.
idk anymore
not a newbie

Thank you, I'll try

~Morgan Freeman
montheline
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm learning to fly planes & I have fast motorbike
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bi

Unread post by montheline »

idk anymore wrote:Thank you, I'll try
Hang in there buddy. I empathize with everything you wrote because I've also felt pressured to adopt a whole worldview I don't necessarily agree with just for identifying as bi.

In the not so distant past bisexuals were attacked as being "gay and in denial" not only by straight conservatives but also by gay men. And just a little over ten years ago (it was sometime in 2010) OkCupid posted an article to its blog titled something akin to: "The Results are In: Bisexual Men Don't Really Exist"

So OkCupid pioneered online dating by allowing members to select an orientation other than gay or straight. And then using the authority they've gained by become the first site to allow bisexuals to identify as bi, they said we don't exist.

<3
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic