Abortion during coronavirus

Questions and discussion about pregnancy, pregnancy options and/or any part of parenting.
Forum rules
IF YOU ARE POSTING TO ASK IF YOU SHOULD USE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION:

Please do not wait on us if you may need or want EC (like the morning-after pill). Because it is most effective the sooner it is taken or administered, we suggest that you go ahead and get it, and if you want to talk to someone about whether or not you choose to use it, we can do that with you after. That way, you have it ASAP if you do decide you want or need to use it. <3
ConfusedGirl123
Pronouns: She/her

Abortion during coronavirus

Unread post by ConfusedGirl123 »

I'm not pregnant but I'm worried if I become pregnant and need to get an abortion that I won't be able to because it is hard to get doctor's appointments now because of the coronavirus. Can I still get an appointment for an abortion or do I have to wait for stay at home orders to be over?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Abortion during coronavirus

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi ConfusedGirl!

I am not aware of any coronavirus related restrictions on seeking an abortion in the USA.

Sadly in many states abortion access is already quite restricted, corona virus aside, so even though I don't have the numbers, I imagine there could be delays accessing care if say, the would-be clinician is self-isolating or has been temporarily redeployed to another service. That would make it extra important to start seeking an abortion as soon as it becomes aparent that it's needed.

I'd say if there is a risk of becoming pregnant it would be a good idea to make sure birth control methods, incuding condoms are in place and that emergency contraception is available for the rare possibility that a condom breaks etc.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Marisha
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Aspiring sex educator
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Marisha »

It may be possible to book a virtual appointment with a doctor and receive a referral for a medical abortion if in-clinic abortions aren't available. I recommend checking Planned Parenthood's website to locate your nearest abortion clinic (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/abortion-access?) and to locate the nearest medical provider with Tele-health services (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/get-c ... are-online). Good luck to you, hope you stay safe!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

In addition to the resources mt13, if you or anyone else needs it, there's also this interactive map that can help you locate the nearest abortion provider: https://www.abortioncarenetwork.org/clinics/.

Since it sounds like pregnancy is something you're concerned about, are you living with a partner you're sexually active with? And if so, have you two talked about those concerns and what steps to take to address them?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic