Can this even be the first symptom?

Questions and discussion about pregnancy, pregnancy options and/or any part of parenting.
Forum rules
IF YOU ARE POSTING TO ASK IF YOU SHOULD USE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION:

Please do not wait on us if you may need or want EC (like the morning-after pill). Because it is most effective the sooner it is taken or administered, we suggest that you go ahead and get it, and if you want to talk to someone about whether or not you choose to use it, we can do that with you after. That way, you have it ASAP if you do decide you want or need to use it. <3
chalk
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Can this even be the first symptom?

Unread post by chalk »

I was wondering if gaining weight in stomach area could come before any other pregnancy symptom. As far as I know, it isn't an early symptom, so it doesn't make sense for it to be the first/only one, but maybe I'm wrong.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Can this even be the first symptom?

Unread post by Heather »

Honestly, if on top of missing your period for six months, you are also experiencing unexpained abdominal swelling or what seems like "spot" weight gain to your stomach, I really think you need to get yourself in to see a healthcare provider as soon as possible. Do you need any help making that possible?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
chalk
not a newbie

Unread post by chalk »

Thank you for this answer too! Now that I think about it, I am "just" bloated, and I did gain a little weight lately - not only in that area. Still, I know it may be best to check it asap.

Does Scarleteen website have any article about things such as PCOS, cysts or hormonal imbalance? I was searching but didn't find much (sorry if it was obvious!) ... That is what I suspect rather than pregnancy.

(but I still phrased my question like that since pregnancy is always the first thing that comes to my mind, even though there was nearly no risk!...)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Honestly, if it is any of these things, you are going to need a healthcare provider to diagnose them for you.

You can use our site search function to look up/at some of the content we have about some of these, but you are not going to find anything that's going to somehow enable you to do your own diagnosis about this. Personally, I would suggest you put your time and energy into finding a healthcare provider and making an appointment or doing whatever you need to to get past what's kept you from seeing someone already.

Can we help with that?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
chalk
not a newbie

Unread post by chalk »

You have helped - thank you~
If only we could diagnose ourselves, but oh well! As I mentioned in another thread, I'll make sure to get everything checked as soon as possible.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

With some things we can, but not things that we can only evaluate through blood tests and ultrasounds and need a medical education for!

I hope you can get some answers soon. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic