Can I be pregnant???

Questions and discussion about pregnancy, pregnancy options and/or any part of parenting.
Forum rules
IF YOU ARE POSTING TO ASK IF YOU SHOULD USE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION:

Please do not wait on us if you may need or want EC (like the morning-after pill). Because it is most effective the sooner it is taken or administered, we suggest that you go ahead and get it, and if you want to talk to someone about whether or not you choose to use it, we can do that with you after. That way, you have it ASAP if you do decide you want or need to use it. <3
cratosphere
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at makeup
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Can I be pregnant???

Unread post by cratosphere »

My boyfriend and I have had manual sex where pre cum may or may not have been present (neither of us are sure.) Since the most risky encounter like 2 months ago I have had a period, but this month it's later than it ever has been. I've been feeling weird, as in stomach issues and generally feeling sick. I'm concerned not only because of the pregnancy fear, but because if I'm not pregnant all of this could be indicative of something equally serious going on.

For clarification, my boyfriend never came, so there has never been semen present- just precum. I'm worried and confused, any advice or input is appreciated.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Can I be pregnant???

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi cratosphere,

So, the situation you've described doesn't pose a risk of pregnancy. Pregnancy requires direct(with no clothing, at all, covering anyone's genitals) genital-to-genital contact between someone with a penis and someone with a vulva, such as genital intercourse or otherwise rubbing genitals together OR direct contact with ejaculate (semen) and the vulva, vaginal opening or anus. Neither of those happened here.

As for your period this month, periods can be late for lots of reasons that aren't related to pregnancy, and you can read about those here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?. If you've been feeling sick, then it's entirely possible you're just that: sick. I'd keep an eye on your symptoms and if they aren't going away or they start getting worse, that would be the time to check in with a healthcare provider.
cratosphere
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at makeup
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by cratosphere »

I'm really freaking out. I have some symptoms of pregnancy, like more discharge and bloating. Are you sure it isn't possible??
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Carly »

Hey cratosphere -- I'm sorry to hear that this is causing you a lot of stress. Like Sam said, it is highly unlikely that you are pregnant because there was no genital-to-genital contact here. I think reading through Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells? will help ease some anxiety. Though it's good to be careful and aware of situations that could be risky, I think there's a huge misconception about sperm's capability and intelligence when they're anywhere but inside a vaginal opening. I think you could also find some comfort with Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul.

I also want to point out that some of what you might be experiencing symptom wise could in fact be PMS, especially the bloating. You mentioned that your period is the latest it's ever been - how late is it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic