spike in dysphoria and considering coming out

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
killerachilles
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i think im pretty funny!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
Sexual identity: bisexual

spike in dysphoria and considering coming out

Unread post by killerachilles »

my dysphoria has been getting insanely out of control recently so i sent my mom a binder that i can easily pass of as a sports bra and just said its because ive been wanting to get out of the house and work out more. the unfortunate thing is that im pretty sure shes getting a bit suspicious about it because when i bring up her buying it she says things like "why would you want to bind yourself down?? a normal sports bra would work better!!" and its totally freaking me out. its kinda made me consider coming out to her because i think it might make it easier to explain why i want one, but the thought of that horrifies me. i might just make a sob story about how i hate my chest only because im fat. it just makes my stomach churn whenever i talk to her about it. what should i do?? thanks.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: spike in dysphoria and considering coming out

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, killerachilles. I imagine that now, more than ever, is a really rough time to be home with people you live with and not out. I hope you're doing okay overall. I'm sorry that you're having a harder time with dysphoria than usual.

We have a really good piece from someone who's also trans about coming out that I think might be a particularly good one for you to read: Becoming Out: A Totally Non-Exhaustive, Step by Step Guide to Coming Out.

In general, do you *want* to come out to your mom? Do you think she'll be supportive? What would you be looking for in coming out to her? Do you think she could meet those expectations?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic