Tips on how to explain to my mother and sister about my preferred name and pronouns?

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

Tips on how to explain to my mother and sister about my preferred name and pronouns?

Unread post by KittyPink »

So my mother is doesn't approve of, but is okay with me hormonally transitioning if it makes me happy, but I feel like now might be a good time to try to explain to her that it would also help if she used my preferred name and pronouns.
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Tips on how to explain to my mother and sister about my preferred name and pronouns?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kittypink,

I know from our previous conversations that things with your mom have been kind of fraught, especially in regard to your gender. I'm glad, at least, that she's not putting her biases in the way of you getting care. Can you give me a sense of whether you've had any conversations with her about using your name and pronouns before? If so, how have those gone?
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

Re: Tips on how to explain to my mother and sister about my preferred name and pronouns?

Unread post by KittyPink »

They haven't gone the greatest, but I think my sister might be a little more receptive, but I think my mother might get it if I explain it and just keeping going at the point that it will make me happier.
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

I'm sorry that your mother hasn't been supportive in using your correct name and pronouns. If you think your sister might be more receptive, how about you start out by speaking to her first? Perhaps that will help in the conversation with your mother, perhaps not but hopefully you will have your sisters support at least. What do you think?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic