Trans* resources for parents/family members

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
Ruth
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer/lesbian

Trans* resources for parents/family members

Unread post by Ruth »

Last weekend I was at a conference focused on trans*/gender-variant youth and their families, and I came out of it with a lot of good information and a list of education/support/advocacy resources. I made a blog post about this on the main site, but I wanted to post the link and maybe open up some discussion about this topic here.

Have any of you who have come out to your parents or other family members about your gender identity felt like you've had to spend a lot of time educating them about your identity or about gender in general? Or found that they're downright terrified for your future health and safety and had to provide a lot of support to get them past that?

Have any of you put them in contact with any of these groups or similar ones, and have an opinion about how helpful they were? Or about what services you'd like to see from groups offering family support?

Also, I would love to hear from anyone outside the US who can share similar resources in other countries; this conference and my own experience are sadly limited and I would love to be able to point people towards resources in other parts of the world!

(Originally posted by Molias on the old boards here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... 00548.html)