How Would You Descibe Your Gender Expression?

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

How Would You Descibe Your Gender Expression?

Unread post by Sam W »

I think it's fun to see all the terms people come up with to describe how they like to express their gender, so I thought it could be neat to see what folks here use.

My gender expression tends to fall into one of three categories: Spooky Femme, Hard Femme, or Utility Queer.

How about y'all?
Marisha
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Aspiring sex educator
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi

Re: How Would You Descibe Your Gender Expression?

Unread post by Marisha »

Utility queer, that's fun :)

I like the idea of like, Poptropica -izing my gender description (concrete noun, fun adjective), but I feel like my gender/being is also recognizable as a person or archetype. If I had to choose 3, I would go with pretty boi, one-quarter futch and brickhouse Black belle.
Rubix
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a trans woman
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Unread post by Rubix »

I guess I'm in this weird phase of my life where the most apt descriptions of my gender are either goth girl or girly girl. Some days I want to do nothing but wear all black. And other days I want to wear a frilly skirt and lots of light colors.

I'm a trans woman, and I'm still figuring out what kind of woman I want to be. So, for the past few months I've been picking one feminine style a week and spending the whole week just dressing and acting in that manner. So far goth girl has been the style I'm most comfortable being. I'm trying to present as a woman in public, but people many still see me as a man. I think growing out my hair more and having bigger boobs (Just got breast buds last week!!!) will help me look more like a woman.

Sam, I'm not sure if this is the kind of response you were looking for, but this is how I'm approaching gender these days.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Sofi »

I love utility queer!
Rubix, I totally understand that and relate. As I started to realize I was basically gender apathetic, I experimented with "styles" from goth to girly and in my case to soft butch too.
Now I would say my gender expression falls under butchy femme, since that's what I'm most comfortable with and makes me feel most "me". I do have the occasional super mega femme night (dress, heels, lipstick, all the fun Pretty Woman things). I also don't even think I'm done exploring my gender expression and probably never will be, which is both confusing and fun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic