Clothing and Tucking

Questions and discussions about gender, gender roles and identity.
Spider_Queen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I consume media at an ungodly speed
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Lesbian probably

Clothing and Tucking

Unread post by Spider_Queen »

So I hope that this isn't overly specific or anything but recently I've had a desire to try out more form fitting pants and things like more feminine underwear as sleep/loungewear or just clothes to have for myself and enjoy as I'm not female presenting in public at all. The problem I've been having with this however, is that I *really* don't enjoy having, well, a bulge of any sort while I'm wearing them which is pretty unavoidable.

My main option would be tucking but A) it tends to be pretty uncomfortable to do for long periods of time, B) I'm not especially good at it, and C) I don't think it's an especially good idea to do it while I'm sleeping, call it a hunch :P

I've heard there are some brands which make clothing to try and get around this but I'm not sure if I've found any so I don't really know if that's apocryphal or not. I do know leolines exist, I have a few pairs but I've always been under the impression that they were meant for tucking.

Anyhow my main question is if there's any way around this? I'm prepared to just have to grin and bear it but if there's something I'm missing (someone making clothes for this sorta thing, etc) I'm pretty eager to hear. Alternatively if there's anything I could be doing to make tucking a bit less of an ordeal I'd certainly appreciate hearing that too, thanks!
May you find your rest where no shadows are cast, and no eyes may see you slumber

Adelard Dekker, The Magnus Archives
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Re: Clothing and Tucking

Unread post by Elise »

Hi Spider_Queen!

Good news is that there is an option separate to underwear specifically designed for tucking as you heard about, it's called a “gaff”. A gaff is an undergarment that you can wear untucked (also works tucked when you want to do it); it helps you position your genitals in a way to create the flatter, more gender-affirming shape that you're wanting. They do this by using a fabric that will apply some moderate compression, a bit like yoga pants if you've worn those before. You can then wear other underwear over them if you'd like to.

Here's an article about them here on Point of Pride, that links to a shop page you can browse to see examples of some different kinds: Gaffs 101. You can apply to get one for free if you can't afford one or safely buy it on your own.

Programs that assist with gender expression gear A snug pair of bikini bottoms can have a similar effect and are also more readily available as an alternative, too. You can read information about gaffs and other kinds of great gender expression gear in Scarleteen's Trans Summer School article.

If the above prompts any curiosities, or you have any questions, please ask away! :)
Spider_Queen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I consume media at an ungodly speed
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Lesbian probably

Unread post by Spider_Queen »

omgggg thank you so much for the info. I have one question which I'm maybe not quite sure how to phrase but I will do my best haha. Is there any specific way you're supposed to wear them I guess? Like to illustrate my point a bit better would I just put one on or is there a specific way I should be positioning my genitals?
May you find your rest where no shadows are cast, and no eyes may see you slumber

Adelard Dekker, The Magnus Archives
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Spider_Queen,

If you buy an item with a super-specific way it needs to be worn, it will usually include directions. More generally, I like this article as a starting place for how to fit and wear a gaffe (it also includes links to more detailed directions for tucking): https://pointofpride.org/gaffs-101-tuck ... mfortably/.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic