Confusion about birth control pills

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
arcticmonkeys
Awesomeness Quotient: hair
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Confusion about birth control pills

Unread post by arcticmonkeys »

I am currently on birth control pills for my skin. I just started my second full pack. I always take my pills when I brush my teeth at night. But, this means that sometimes I take them at 9 and sometimes I take them at 1 or 2am. I am just wondering if I am still protected from pregnancy? I am on the combination pills (a knockoff YAZ brand). I can’t find a solid answer online, some websites say the combination pill can be taken at any time of the day, as long as you take one per day, and some others say that you have to take it at exactly the same time. I had sex without a condom, and although he pulled out, I was still nervous. I took a pregnancy test a week after (I called planned parenthood and they said I could) and it was negative, and I believe I had my withdrawal bleeding at the end of the pill packs, but my chest hurts (rationally, I know it’s probably a side effect of the pills, but I still worry). I am just wondering if I have reason to worry? Is it ok that sometimes there’s a 4-6 hour time difference in between my pills?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Confusion about birth control pills

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi articmonkeys,

So, with the combination pill, you have a twelve-hour window before a pill is even considered late. So that smaller window of difference in what time you take it should not compromise it's effectiveness.

Since a condom wasn't used, I do want to check: Are you and the person you had sex with up to date on your STI tests? I'm also assuming this incident was a little while ago, since the current recommendations are to only have sex with a partner you're already living with.
arcticmonkeys
Awesomeness Quotient: hair
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by arcticmonkeys »

Sam W wrote:Hi articmonkeys,

So, with the combination pill, you have a twelve-hour window before a pill is even considered late. So that smaller window of difference in what time you take it should not compromise it's effectiveness.

Since a condom wasn't used, I do want to check: Are you and the person you had sex with up to date on your STI tests? I'm also assuming this incident was a little while ago, since the current recommendations are to only have sex with a partner you're already living with.
Yes! It was my ex boyfriend & it was pre-quarantine in my area. No worries whatsoever about STI/STD’s.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Ok, that's good to hear. Did Sam's answer help with your concern about timing?

How are you doing now that we're under quarantine?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic