best time to take pregnancy test

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
phantomdog
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i'm a biology researcher!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he / him
Sexual identity: bi

best time to take pregnancy test

Unread post by phantomdog »

hi all,

last week my boyfriend and i had unprotected "intercourse" (quotations because he only put it in me for a few moments because we wanted to see if it really does feel better without a condom) and as of today my period is a day late. i'm aware that theoretically that was a risky action and can cause pregnancy. most tests i see at the store advertise themselves as being able to provide an accurate reading a day before a missed period. i was wondering if that would still hold true if my last unprotected activity was only a week ago. either way, i'll give it a few days and test if it still doesn't come but i still want to know if that was too recent for the test to be accurate. thank you!
Gone.Sorry.
not a newbie
Pronouns: required field

Re: best time to take pregnancy test

Unread post by Gone.Sorry. »

When it's best to take a pregnancy test can actually depend on the brand you buy and how sensitive it is! For the most accurate result, you should wait one week after your first missed period, but there are some tests that you can receive an accurate positive on the first day of your missed period (putting conception at about two weeks prior). However, this should be considered secondary to the fact that pregnancy tests work off the levels of hgc in your body, meaning you can get accurate positives if you wait about two weeks after having sex, as it takes 7 - 12 days after conception for hgc levels to develop in measurable amounts. The most sensitive tests can report an accurate positive about 8 days after conception (which can occur up to a couple days after having sex).

Since your period has some flexibility of being 3 - 4 days off your expected, it's only been one missed day so far, and it's been less than two weeks since you had sex, I would hold off taking a pregnancy test just yet. If you still haven't seen your period by next week, two weeks after the unprotected sexual encounter, then that's when I would take a test.

ScarleTeen has a wonderful breakdown of pregnancy tests that should answer all your questions better than I just did, which you can find it here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Hi phantomdog,

I want to check in on how you're feeling about this situation; was having intercourse without a condom (this does count as intercourse even if it was brief) something you'd discussed beforehand and that you were comfortable trying out?
phantomdog
not a newbie

horriblegoose - thank you, i’ll do that! hopefully it’s just late, it tends to jump around a bit in cycle length from time to time.

mo - i feel fine about it, we did talk and it was my idea and we were both aware of risks. currently the best i think i can do now is not worry about things i don’t know yet. if i am pregnant, i’ll cross that bridge when i get there but for now there’s no point worrying the way i see it. given that this is slightly stressful i doubt i’ll do it again and fully intend on speaking with my doctor about getting an iud when i see her in february.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I think this all sounds like a good plan, and I'm glad you have an appointment with your doctor coming up soon.
phantomdog
not a newbie

still nothing so i will be taking a test within the next couple of days. for the past two days or so it now hurts to press down on my uterine region and that makes lying down on my stomach painful too. i’m thinking if this isn’t pregnancy it could be something ovarian and will tell my doctor
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Or it may just be premenstrual.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
phantomdog
not a newbie

maybe, but i still think it would be worth telling my doctor
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Of course. I simply added that because you've a history of medical/health anxiety, so I wanted to let you know that it isn't necessarily something to worry about.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
phantomdog
not a newbie

oh i see. thank you :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic