could have an issue

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Melissa
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: bass enthusiast
Primary language: english
Pronouns: her
Sexual identity: not sure

could have an issue

Unread post by Melissa »

I have this raw blister on the side of my lip but it's also just a little bit on the inside of my mouth. What is it? What can I do about it? I will add that I did give a blowjob a couple weeks ago, first time I was with him. But I also did the same for a few other guys but never had any problems. Just a little worried but not sure what I got.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: could have an issue

Unread post by Heather »

I’d do what you can to be seen by a healthcare professional while it is still there. That way, they have the opportunity to run all the tests on it so you can find out quickly what it is. Obviously, STIs are a possibility if you have been having oral sex, especially unprotected, so screening for those should be included. Do be sure to mention that if they don’t ask about it.

Can you get in to see someone today or tomorrow?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Melissa
not a newbie

Unread post by Melissa »

I was just looking at other posts on here and started wondering if maybe it's a different kinda problem. I was thinking and still kinda thinking that its just a little bit of an acne issue. I have been putting some vasaline on it a couple times a day but with no real change.
I do have a family doctor but she doesn't work on Friday or the weekends PLUS my mom would find out PLUS I would need some time off from school. No easy way of getting around it.
And the boy was 14 and I am sure he was fine, can't see why he would have something.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Well, if he's been sexually active at all -- including oral sex -- then that's why.

The why of people getting STIs is just people being sexually active. And 15-22 year-olds are the people with the highest rates of STIs, so while he's just under that, he's right in that window. Same probably goes for your other sexual partners, who an STI like Herpes -- just as an example -- could be from, too, in the event that's what this is. Just because you may have a sore showing up around this encounter doesn't mean it was from this encounter.

I would strongly advise getting it checked out (and not putting things like Vaseline on it) given where it is and the fact that it's both a little outside and a little inside your mouth, especially since it sounds like you have been engaging in unprotected oral sex, so even if what you have is oral Herpes you, like most people with it, contracted nonsexually in your childhood, it could be something you've exposed sexual partners to without them knowing. I'm not meaning to be scary -- and HSV is very common, so while it's highly stigmatized, it shouldn't be scary, really -- but it's something to get checked out, especially because it's something that you could be passing on to others genitally through oral sex.

Is there a school nurse at your school, by any chance? Alternately, Planned Parenthood has Boise clinics where you could be seen on a weekend and your parents would absolutely not be notified: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/healt ... 2939-91810

If you'd like to talk about how to best prevent STIs when it comes to oral and other kinds of sex, I'm happy to talk with you about that, too. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Melissa
not a newbie

Unread post by Melissa »

I understand and I will see somebody tomorrow. I think it is still acne but I'll check.
Should I tell the boy that I was with now or wait and see?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I hear you, but I do think it's better to be safe than sorry, so I'm glad you're going. Too, it sounds like you might not have yet had any STI screenings, period, even though you've been engaging in unprotected (right?) oral sex. So, when you go in, I'd suggest asking for them to run any and all STI tests they'd recommend for whatever your sexual history is.

In terms of telling your last or any previous partners, there really isn't anything to yet tell them about, so I'd wait until you know. But if you are still in touch with partners you know are sexually active in some way with you or others and who don't use safer sex or get tested, and you want to talk about those things in general, those things are always good to talk about. Ideally, that's something you do before being sexual with someone, for the future, but it's certainly good to talk about whenever you can if you haven't so far. Make sense?
Melissa
not a newbie

Unread post by Melissa »

Did not forget about you. Did see my doctor today and what I have is a cold sore and a mix of acne. Bought some stuff at Wal-Mart for it. I was questioned about sexual activity and said a few things but nothing came up for an STI screening, but she did repeatedly say to use protection.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I'm glad that you were able to go.

Was your doctor able to talk to you about how to tell current and previous partners about your Herpes virus (the cold sore)? If not, would you like some help with that? We can also help you when it comes to both negotiating and practicing safer sex moving forward.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic