experiences with going to a sexual health clinic?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Pian
Pronouns: He

experiences with going to a sexual health clinic?

Unread post by Pian »

i'm going to go to one soon and just wanted to know what it's like especially walk-in ones. i guess i want to know is the waiting too bad what do they ask you and if you've had a particularly good or bad time at one? share as much as you want lol
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: experiences with going to a sexual health clinic?

Unread post by Heather »

In terms of the wait, that really varies a lot from clinic to clinic. But you can certainly call the clinic you're thinking about going to and ask what their wait times are generally like. You can also ask on what days and during what times they are least busy to see if you can go at one of those times if you're concerned about waiting.

So much of my own healthcare has been through clinics and other public health services, and I just don't think that if anyone has had a good experience or a bad one is a question that really works with this: it'd be like asking if someone had a good or bad doctor's appointment in a private practice. You're just going to always find people who have had both positive and negative experiences, and a wide range in between, because healthcare is a lot like restaurants: the quality of services can vary a lot, and what people liked or didn't (which obviously can also vary a lot) is often arbitrary, and that's not about somewhere being walk-in or not, know what I mean?

Besides the possible wait time, can you say a little more about your specific concerns?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic