Freaking out over a bump

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
moonchild
Pronouns: She/her

Freaking out over a bump

Unread post by moonchild »

Just recently, i found out i had a bump on my vulva (close to the perineum) when i was showering. I checked out through the mirror and i really freaked out. It is a small, single bump which is the same colour as my vulva. It doesnt hurt when i touch it though. I googled for images (caused by STIs) but nothing seems the same as mine. I know i am supposed to see the doctor but i just wanna know what should i expect first. I am kinda sexually active so that worries me. I also remember wearing a thong/gstring the night before so i thought that could also be a problem since i wore it for long hours. I am really freaking out and i dont know what it is!!!!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Freaking out over a bump

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi moonchild,

In terms of what to expect, if you go to a healthcare provider to have this checked out, they'll likely start with a visual examination and then move on from there if that doesn't tell them what they need to know. It may help to know that it is possible to get zits on that part of your body, so if this looks like acne you get elsewhere that may be what you're dealing with. You may also want to look at this article to see if what you've seen on you genitals matches anything described here (the piece is focused on penises, but the discussion of bumps is about all types of genitals): https://www.scarleteen.com/article/advi ... n_my_penis.

Too, if you're sexually active and concerned about infection, are you using things like condoms and dental dams?
moonchild

If it is just an acne, that would be relieving. I have read the article and it made me feel a bit better. However, I can see a line of white/yellowish tissue near (not on) the bump. Could it be cyst also?
And sometimes I did use condoms.
Alice M
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: my boundaries
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: bi/pan

Unread post by Alice M »

Yes, there are many things it could be, acne and other benign skin bumps included. Unfortunately it's impossible for us to diagnose these things over the internet. We are not doctors, and an actual doctor wouldn't be able to diagnose in this format either -- you'd still need to go in and have it examined.

As you are sexually active and using condoms sometimes, I'd recommend you get checked out by a medical provider when you can, especially if you are still concerned.
moonchild

Hi, I went to the Dr to check up just now. He told me that it might be an ulcer due to me wearing a gstring. I really hope that is the case and it would heal soon. I am prescribed with two types of antibiotics and a cream to soothe it. Pray for me that it is nothing serious and I will heal as per normal! I am going to see him again on Sunday.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Glad to hear you checked in with healthcare provider and got a treatment to try!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic