The Pill and Grapefruit Juice

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
BettyBoop23
Pronouns: She, her
Sexual identity: Straight/heterosexual

The Pill and Grapefruit Juice

Unread post by BettyBoop23 »

Hello,

I am on the pill and I noticed a warning on the carton that says that grapefruit juice can lower the effectiveness of the pill. Is this true? Why so? Is it only grapefruit juice (like the kind that you can find at a supermarket) or does it also include fresh grapefruits?

Thank you!
phantomdog
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i'm a biology researcher!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he / him
Sexual identity: bi

Re: The Pill and Grapefruit Juice

Unread post by phantomdog »

hi there,

grapefruit and grapefruit juice actually interact with a lot of drugs! this is because it interferes with enzymes in your digestive tract that break down and absorb medicines. so sometimes, you can absorb too much of a drug -- increasing side effects -- or render the drug ineffective altogether. with birth control, it causes your body to absorb too much estrogen, which shouldn't normally affect the efficacy of birth control drugs, but can worsen side effects.overall, there are no significant studies that prove grapefruit consumption causes failure with birth control medications; however, if you're still worried, it would be worth speaking with your doctor or other healthcare professional. in short, grapefruit and grapefruit product consumption in large quantities can worsen side effects, but the occasional indulgence is unlikely to make anything bad happen.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: The Pill and Grapefruit Juice

Unread post by Heather »

I'm actually surprised to hear your pill packet had warnings on it about grapefruit juice. I'm just curious: are you sure it didn't say grapefruit *seed*?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic