Switched from birth control to an iud and back

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Lunalove
Awesomeness Quotient: My empathy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Switched from birth control to an iud and back

Unread post by Lunalove »

I had been on birth control for more then a year. On my hormone free week (brown pills) I switched to a hormone iud on Thursday 20th I felt a very drastic change and didn’t like it at all. I’m getting it taken out. If I continue with my normal birth control pill schedule and just have it taken out Thursday 27th should I be protected against pregnancy? I had unprotected sex Sunday. And does taking both the pill and the iud affect it’s job?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Switched from birth control to an iud and back

Unread post by Heather »

You may want to give your body at least another week to adjust to the IUD: they can feel very different right after insertion. Once they settle in, most people don't feel them at all.

I'd suggest you call the healthcare provider who has prescribed your pill and your IUD and see what they suggest, just because you (as in, any of us) ideally want to limit the synthetic hormones you put into your body as much as possible. For some people, using both temporarily will be fine, but for others, it won't be, so it's important to talk with someone who has your whole health history to look at and so can make the best determination for you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic