How do I insert a vaginal cream applicator if I'm not aroused?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Flyaway
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Bisexual with a strong preference for women

How do I insert a vaginal cream applicator if I'm not aroused?

Unread post by Flyaway »

Hi! I'm 21 and I have a yeast infection right now because I've been taking long-term corticosteroids for another health condition and a side effect is being more susceptible to infections. The thing is, my gyno told me to use a vaginal cream, however since I said I was a "virgin", she told me that I shouldn't use the applicator inside my vagina, and only I should apply it to my vulva. I was curious about using the applicator, so I tried it, but my vagina hole was barely visible and I managed to insert less than a cm inside until it felt uncomfortable. In the past, I had managed to insert a finger (I've never used a tampon), but only while I was wet and aroused during masturbation. I know the vagina is a muscle and all of that stuff. So I'm wondering, how do women insert applicators inside their vaginas while they aren't aroused? How deep is too deep? How do they manage not feeling uncomfortable? Does the applicator slip in easily or do I have to push? Why did my gyno tell me I shouldn't use an applicator if haven't been sexually active yet? Sorry if my english sounds messy, it's not actually my first language. Thank you in advance.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: How do I insert a vaginal cream applicator if I'm not aroused?

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Flyaway!

Your English sounds fine to me!

I don't know why your doctor gave that advice seeing as there's nothing medically different between someone who has and hasn't had sex. If anything it's just confusing, and I hope it's not getting in the way of you recovering from your infection!

Regarding the ability to insert stuff when not aroused? It's also about being relaxed. Relaxation and aroused often go together but not always. And the effect that has on you and your anatomy might vary, as it does, from person to person.

With the question of what's too deep - there's a thing for that! The cervix prevents anything going any further, so it has you covered.

When you say you feel uncomfortable do you mean that physically or emotionally?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Flyaway
not a newbie

Unread post by Flyaway »

Thank you for replying :) !!
Yeah like I thought it was strange but didn't say anything. It definitely felt physically uncomfortable, because the vagina opening was too small for the applicator, and it didn't want to go further. So like you said, maybe I wasn't as relaxed as I thought I was. Do you know what things I should do to make sure I'm actually relaxed?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It can be hard to will yourself into relaxation, for sure. If you feel yourself tensing up, taking a moment to take a few deep breaths can actually help a lot.

Another thing you might try is changing up the position you're in! I know that sometimes people find a certain position, like having one leg standing a little higher than the other (like on the edge of a tub, if you're in the bathroom) or lying down, can be easier for people to insert tampons, so that might be applicable to your situation too. A small amount of lubricant on the applicator could help as well.
Flyaway
not a newbie

Unread post by Flyaway »

Thank you so much for the advice, you guys are the best.
Smari
Awesomeness Quotient: My heart
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Smari »

Hi there I need your advice so basically in April my boyfriend fingered me so he accidentally scratched the skin of the inside of the vagina and I was having real bad pain, itching and I couldn’t even work. I did my research and I seen that I may have vagina yeast infection so I called my local sexual health clinic I told them what happened they told me the symptoms that I had are yeast infection so when I had my appointment there was a lot of white discharged, the nurses had to checks and they told me it was yeast infection the gave me cream for the outside of the vagina and to use a tablet and a application to be inserted in my vagina. My boyfriend had to do it because I am a virgin and it wasn’t easy at all it hurt so much because I hadn’t lost my virginity and then after it was done I was laying on the bed the tablet was burning my vagina inside and I couldn’t move for a couple of hours. Next day the pain stopped after that it went away and now a week ago it came back so I had to call the sexual health clinic and tell them that my yeast infection came back. They booked me in for Wednesday and I know they will give me the same treatment but what if it comes back because it’s very painful. And my boyfriend suggests that I can’t use normal toilet roll to wipe myself because it will irritate the skin but what can I use to wipe myself because I do have sensitive skin but I didn’t know I had sensitive skin on my vagina. This time I didn’t have any discharge just burning and itching. And because my vagina hole is very small and the tablet is big it’s going to really hurt like last time and I really need the nurses to give me better treatment because I don’t want it to come back. I’m not able to go out I have to stay home because I’m in serious pain.
Marisha
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Aspiring sex educator
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Marisha »

Hi Smari,

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain :( Let's see if we can help.

You haven't specified which medication you were prescribed, but there are yeast infection treatments that list burning as a side effect. Because you're expressing this amount of discomfort, I wonder if you're able to ask your doctor if they can talk about different medical options for you. For example, is there an oral option? Can the doctor assist you with placement if the internal option is the only one available? What types of medication should be used internally, and which ones shouldn't?

Also, on the matter of toilet paper and sensitive skin: I would ask your doctor if it's okay to use generic TP to wipe. Otherwise, you can also ask them what they recommend for people with sensitive skin. To give my own suggestion, I personally like to use baby wipes that are meant for sensitive skin (no fragrance, alcohol, parabens, or latex) and they work well for my dry, sensitive skin. If you're worried about how the material might affect you, you can try a swatch test by using the product in a slightly less sensitive area first, like the inner thigh.

Good luck to you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic