Nexplanon side effects

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Nexplanon side effects

Unread post by Kela »

Hi guys.

I know you don't replace the advice of a healthcare professional but I thought I'd see what you say before I go and make an appointment.

I had my nexplanon replaced last July and haven't had any major problems up until the past couple of months. The end at which my implant was inserted on and off gets really itchy and a lump, which looks like a hive (pale puffy lump that looks like nettle rash), comes up and increases in size over about an hour. Then it will stop itching and the hive will go down and it looks like nothing was ever there. It's happened occasionally over the past months but yesterday it came up and went down again 4 or 5 times, and the lump at it's biggest was the size of a penny. I have had no other symptoms, no shortness or breath nor does the itching and hives spread, always localised to the area where my implant was inserted. I had the same implant before this one and had no problems.

Has anyone any idea why I get this? I understand a common side effect is irritation of the insertion site but it doesn't say in the PIL whether that's normal in the first few weeks or if it can continue as long as mine has?

Thanks guys x
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Nexplanon side effects

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kela,

Given that this is has been going on for a few months, I think it's time to check in with a healthcare provider. It may be this is within the normal variation of irritation, but talking with a healthcare provider will help rule out other causes.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Unread post by Kela »

Hi Sam

So I went to see a Dr and he wasn't very worried, just prescribed some hydrocortisone cream and said use as and when needed. Although funnily enough it's not happened since I went to see the Dr :roll: :lol:
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Sometimes bodies are unpredictable that way! Glad you have something to treat it with if it does happen again though.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic