STI testing

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

STI testing

Unread post by Kela »

Hi everybody! Back again! :P

I have some questions about STI testing. I have never had a proper test before, only a diy chlamidya test which you send off to get your results.

I am in a new relationship and have agreed with my boyfriend that we will both get tested before having sexual intercourse. He has had about three sexual partners but hasn't used a condom with any of them. He also has never been tested.

My first question is am I right in thinking a GP can do this testing for me? Or do I need to go to my local genito-urinary medicine (GUM) clinic? I think they've moved the services so they are no longer in my hometown so a GP would be preferable.

My second question is what will they actually do during the tests? I haven't got any particular concern that anything is wrong although I have had some itching recently. I read somewhere they take a swab, but also urine samples.

Lastly, I know that sometimes a pregnancy test is taken as part of the routine testing. Am I allowed to say, if they want a urine sample to do all the tests, that I do not want a pregnancy test? I have my reasons for this.

Thankyou in advance!!
Kela xx
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: STI testing

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Kela!

This depends a little on where you are in the UK as what each individual clinic offers can vary. Often for 'full' screenings you'll need to go to a sexual health or GUM clinic. These do not always require appointments. Again this varies as local authorities are always trying to find ways of balancing being more accessible but also being able to deal with demand.

Some GPs might offer screenings, but outside of chlamydia this hasn't been my experience.

Regarding pregnancy tests, I think it can be included as part of a sexual health checkup, but if you are going for an STI test you should be able to specify what is included, but again it would be something to discuss with that clinic.

Finally, swabs, urine samples and also a small blood sample (usually a finger prick) are ways you can be tested.

There can often be information online for the clinic you use which can describe what they offer. They also may answer emails or explain things further to you on the phone.

I hope this helps!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

Yes it does, thanks!

So are you saying that I can specify if I want a pregnancy test or not? And even if they do pregnancy tests as part of the screening am I allowed to say I don't want it?

Also, where can I pick up another DIY chlamidya kit? Will my GP surgery offer them?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

With all healthcare, you have the right to accept or decline all treatment and tests that are offered to you. (Healthcare providers will often still need to inform you of why they're recommending it and what knock-on effects there might be of not having a particular test or treatment, so that you're fully informed, because it's their responsibility that you're fully informed. You still then have the right to decline.) So, you can absolutely ask them not to run a pregnancy test, and tell them you don't want one. You don't have to tell them why in order for them to respect or follow your wishes; but if you feel able and willing to tell them why, sometimes that makes things easier.

Because there are several previous partners where barriers weren't used and you both haven't been tested before, I'd really recommend full STI screening (rather than just chlamydia) for both you and your boyfriend. It's fairly common for STIs to have no symptoms, and it's much, much better for your health to check that you're not carrying an untreated STI for any length of time, as that can have long-term impacts on your health and fertility. I know it's a real pest and a hassle if you have to travel to a clinic, but it's only once a year, and it's a lot less trouble than it would be if you had an untreated infection.

Remembering your user history with us, if you're still in the same nation (apologies if you're not!), http://www.sexualhealthscotland.co.uk/t ... the-clinic is a good source of information, and there's also a link to the Sexual Health Service finder there. It's worth looking at what there is and enquiring with your local services, because sometimes there can be visiting clinics or one-evening-a-week clinics. To find out what your GP surgery offers, you'll probably need to ask your surgery, because as Jacob said, what facilities there are can vary from region to region and from one surgery to another.

If you've been having itching for longer than a few days, it's best to get that checked out by a healthcare provider. Sometimes, itching can be caused by a yeast infection or imbalance, or a bacterial infection: those things can happen completely separately from any sexual contact. They aren't usually a big deal, they just want diagnosing and treating if they don't clear up. It can also sometimes be from irritation from a product or a fabric, so it might also help to think about if you've changed any body or laundry product, or some kind of clothing, around the time the itching started. Do you need any information or advice from us about the itching?

(Btw, great call on deciding on STI testing before you both have intercourse. Really glad to hear you taking care of yourself and your health!)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Kela
not a newbie

Unread post by Kela »

Thankyou for taking the time to reply Redskies and Jacob!

I thought that I could refuse a pregnancy test, just thought I'd check though. A few years ago I went to hospital and they did a urine test and my permission wasn't asked, it wasn't till the nurse came back with the test already done that I knew what she'd done :/

I actually moved a year ago, I now live further south, in the south west so I think my options have changed as per where to find healthcare.

The itching isn't constant, but tends to be after using lube with a sex toy or when we have oral sex. I use a ph balanced soap free cleanser and changed to cotton underwear recently so I try to stay as healthy as I can down there.
I'm guessing it's something to do with either the lube or oral sex I'm having, but I suggested the STI test to my bf just because it happened mostly after sexual contact.
Danny S.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dog parent :)
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Danny S. »

Hey Kela,
I think it's definitely a good idea to get a full round of STI testing done, just to be sure. In terms of the itching, what kind of lube are you using? Take a look at the ingredients. Glycerin often can cause irritation and yeast infections, so it's something to watch out for.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic