What's in Your Safer Sex Kit?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

What's in Your Safer Sex Kit?

Unread post by Sam W »

In Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To, we discussed why you should consider putting together a safer sex kit, and what things you can include in it. So, if you've got a safer sex kit, what do you keep in it?

Mine is pretty basic: External condoms, a dental dam, and lube.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: fluid

Re: What's in Your Safer Sex Kit?

Unread post by Onionpie »

Mine includes: flavoured external condoms, non-flavoured external condoms, one glow-in-the-dark one because it looks hilarious, and some (awesome vegan, paraben-free, not-gross-smelling) lube! :D
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My lust for knowledge will never be satisfied.
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Heterosexual Male

Unread post by TheNiteHawk »

I felt like adding to this post because I've finally got around to writing down a list for my own kit. Inspired by that exact article that Sam linked in the first post!

I have a little box that I made when I was young, it's basically a wooden treasure chest. I never even imagined I'd be using it for what it is now. :-p

=---------------=
My list is:
-Latex Condoms
-Water- or Silicone-Based Lubricant
-Latex Finger Cots
OR
-Latex Gloves (Preferred)
-Dental Dams
-Small Scissors (for turning gloves/condoms into dams)

*Anything latex can be replaced with non-latex, if necessary
=---------------=

I've got everything aside from the gloves and dental dams. I'll probably be getting the gloves near the end of this month and I'll just be making the dams as need be, because nowhere around here sells them. I put it together probably last Fall.
I've never had to use it yet (I didn't have it when I was with my last girlfriend (which is the only one I've gotten intimate with), and what we did didn't require any of the items on the list), but I'm sure it'll come in handy when I go off to college in the Fall.
Enemy to those who make him an enemy; friend to those who have no friends.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Sounds like a well-stocked kit! It's good to plan ahead and be prepared. :)
PrincessLuLu
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: obsessed with big bang theory
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by PrincessLuLu »

I would say I do pretty well at being 'prepared' with my own version of a "safer sex kit". I think that what one needs will depend on a lot of things, like sexual orientation, personal preferences, etc. Anyways, I have a 'sex drawer' if you will in the nightstand on one side of my bed in my apartment. In it is the following:
-a box of 12 Trojan Magnum XL condoms
-a big bottle of KY
-a bottle of One brand silicone lube (dont use it much just in shower occasionally)
-a purple durex play mini vibrator
-two packets of Rain brand water-based lube I got for free from my university's wellness group
-two Trojan ENZ lubricated condoms (prob wont use cause they're too tight on my SO), also free from university
-a Trust brand dental dam (once again, free from the university I attend)
-box containing Aftera (generic for Plan B, as they're identical but this was $10 cheaper) emergency contraceptive pill, just in case
-box of Durex tropical flavored condoms
I also have packs of TriSprintec (my birth control pills), but those stay with my medicine, except the one im currently on which is on top of my dresser so i see it every morning. I also utilize the Clue app to keep track of my cycle & other reproductive health stuff. Finally, I have latex gloves & finger cots but I haven't used them (they're with bandaids in my bathroom)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic