should i see the dr.?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Lyle Lanley
not a newbie
Pronouns: any
Sexual identity: genderqueer bisexual

should i see the dr.?

Unread post by Lyle Lanley »

hi scarleteam, me again.

so, i've been starting to have UTI symptoms when i was abroad. i'd hold my pee for long until it hurt, had a few small accidents, and when i peed it was not much. i would often get pain before or after peeing, or a few times even at random. worth mentioning that my hygiene was not great and i was dehydrated, on some days i was painfully thirsty and had no water.

i'm home since 2 weeks ago and i still had UTI symptoms, but i dismissed it as my period was about to come and these symptoms usually show up during that time.

with my period coming (which coincided with me drinking more water), the symptoms were going away.

now my period ended since a few days, and i'm peeing often and still a small amount but closer to "normal". and almost no pain, basically none.

my mum said that i had it cos it was close to my period, and that i should get it checked only if it hurts *while* i pee and/or there's blood. but i don't know.

can i just keep drinking water, since i'm getting better, or should i tell my mum that i'd better get checked regardless?

P.S. i don't think this uti is caused by self pleasure, since i have started to do it less frequently after the only toy i had gave me a small infection, but i think my mum is trying to bust me and try to trick me into telling her i have/had one and that's what caused it. now everytime i do it i wash my hands before and after, and no longer use inanimate objects except for the showerhead.
i don't want to talk to my mum about these things i do, it makes me uncomfortable that she'd try to blame it on that. i once asked her almost rhetorically why i'm getting these things more often now than when i first hit puberty and she said something along the line of "might be cos more dirty things and bacteria are getting near there". but i've been doing it since i was 11yo.

P.P.S if you see me only mention my mum and not my dad, it's cos i only talk to her abt this, as we both have afab anatomy and i don't want to discuss basically nothing sex-related with my dad (again, it makes me uncomfortable)
Estuve en tu jaula, hombre pequeñito,
hombre pequeñito que jaula me das.
Digo pequeñito porque no me entiendes,
ni me entenderás.

Tampoco te entiendo, pero mientras tanto
ábreme la jaula que quiero escapar;
hombre pequeñito, te amé media hora,
no me pidas más.

Alfonsina Storni, Hombre Pequeñito
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: should i see the dr.?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Lyle Lanley,

Is the pain during/after peeing completely gone, or is it still happening now and then? And have you been having other symptoms, like cramping (that's not related to your period)?

Since you think your mom might not react well to the idea of you masturbating (especially with a toy), I do think it's sound to switch to methods that are less likely to carry bacteria, just to be safe (and since it sounds like getting condoms in this context would be tricky).
Lyle Lanley
not a newbie
Pronouns: any
Sexual identity: genderqueer bisexual

Unread post by Lyle Lanley »

hi sam w,

the pain is basically gone. today i have peed with no pain whatsoever, and i didn't need to go a lot. also no incontinence or leaks, and the only cramp i recall recently was in my ovary due to the recent end of my period.

also, is hand on clit okay if i wash my hands?
(and i could get condoms but would just have to hide them, and the prospect of mum finding condoms in my drawers is worse than that of her finding a toy. lol)
Estuve en tu jaula, hombre pequeñito,
hombre pequeñito que jaula me das.
Digo pequeñito porque no me entiendes,
ni me entenderás.

Tampoco te entiendo, pero mientras tanto
ábreme la jaula que quiero escapar;
hombre pequeñito, te amé media hora,
no me pidas más.

Alfonsina Storni, Hombre Pequeñito
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Okay, if the pain and other symptoms are gone then you're likely in the clear. I would just keep an eye on things, and if the pain comes back that would be a time to make an appointment with a healthcare provider.

And, yes, if you practice good handwashing hygiene, masturbating with your hands poses a pretty low risk of getting bad bacteria into your urinary tract.
LindsMay443
Awesomeness Quotient: Im cute
Primary language: English
Pronouns: her
Sexual identity: be

Unread post by LindsMay443 »

Hello, I had similar symptoms, so I understand you. The most frequent causes of painful urination are cystitis and urethritis. Cystitis is mainly a female problem. The short length of the urethra in women facilitates the penetration of pathogens directly into the bladder. An important factor contributing to painful urination is an unsatisfactory level of intimate hygiene, which contributes to the penetration of infectious agents into the urogenital tract. But in this situation, it is better to pass tests and then consult a doctor, because it may be the cause of another disease
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi LindsMay443,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I do want to note a couple of things; one is just that, while UTIs are more common in people with vaginas, they can happen regardless of genital anatomy. And you're right that paying attention to the hygiene can help prevent them, there are also lots of other things that can contribute to the development, and prevention, of UTIs. If folks reading this thread are curious, I really like how Heather explains all that here: Out, Out Damn UTI!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic