First time taking plan b.

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Dannysgirl
Pronouns: She/her

First time taking plan b.

Unread post by Dannysgirl »

Hi everyone,
My bf and I were having sex on Tuesday and the condom had slipped off when went to pull out, we had switched to non-latex real feel condoms and neither of us felt it right then we both freaked and went to get plan b pill. This was our first time this happened to us First time I had to take plan b, I was due for my period 3days later (Thursday) and now today I’m a day late.
How bad is the period delay with plan b? I just want my period now 😭😭
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: First time taking plan b.

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Dannysgirl,

Menstrual cycle weirdness from emergency contraception tends to only last a month or two. The tricky thing is every body reacts a little differently to emergency contraception, so there's no way to predict exactly how long it may throw off your cycle. So this is one of those times where you best bet is to be patient and take care of yourself while you wait for it to show up and/or take a pregnancy test to get your answer that way. Does one of those options feel preferable to you?
Dannysgirl

Sam W wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:52 am Hi Dannysgirl,

Menstrual cycle weirdness from emergency contraception tends to only last a month or two. The tricky thing is every body reacts a little differently to emergency contraception, so there's no way to predict exactly how long it may throw off your cycle. So this is one of those times where you best bet is to be patient and take care of yourself while you wait for it to show up and/or take a pregnancy test to get your answer that way. Does one of those options feel preferable to you?
Thank you 😊 how long should I wait to take a test since it was 8/2 when I had sex and took ec and my period was due 8/5
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! And when to test depends on the specific test you buy, since they can detect different amounts of hCG. This article goes into detail about how to choose and take a test: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
Dannysgirl

Sam W wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:36 am You're welcome! And when to test depends on the specific test you buy, since they can detect different amounts of hCG. This article goes into detail about how to choose and take a test: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
Thank you Sam you are a big help. I have anxiety disorder and I panic sometimes. I got what looks like my period today should I still take a test? I am sorry I read all of this stuff about how women got pregnant right before their period and still had their period.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

If it looks and feels like your periods usually do, then it's safe to assume that's what it is and that you're not pregnant. However, if you know you're prone to anxiety, taking a test is still the way to go, because having that very concrete test result can sometimes cut that anxiety off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic