self aftercare

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
electricswitch
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: gay

self aftercare

Unread post by electricswitch »

(i figure mental health stuff probably deserves to go here too haha)

ive noticed recently that after masturbating, I have this really bad emotional drop. I was venting about this to someone, and they told me that it's probably because I'm not doing aftercare. it feels obvious in hindsight. I mean, you're supposed to give and get aftercare after all sex, why is masturbation and self pleasure any different?

so I've been putting together a little self care kit for when I drop like this! currently on the list is regular stuff like snacks I enjoy and a reminder to drink water, as well as some comfort movies/stories/games. I also think itd be helpful for me to put in some positive affirmations, as that's something I've been doing to combat intrusive thoughts from ocd, which is probably a big factor in my emotional problems after masturbating (oh scrupulosity ocd :roll: )

I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this, and what they would put together for their aftercare / what they would recommend me! I also figure its probably helpful to share the idea since I don't think anyone talks about it. I mean I didn't even think about it until recently!
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: self aftercare

Unread post by Siân »

Hi electricswitch,

What a great idea! I also hadn't personally thought about something like this, but things like music or stories that I like, or a nice shower or bath would go on my list. Something relaxing and low set-up :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic