Antidepressants and sexual health

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
hello_world
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him

Antidepressants and sexual health

Unread post by hello_world »

I've been on various SSRIs for a while, and I've been noticing that I've been having trouble coming even though I don't feel like I have a very abnormal sex drive and I have a pretty easy time becoming erect and pre-ejaculating when masturbating. Is this most likely caused by the effects of SSRIs or something else? I notice I lose sexual sensitivity, and therefore pretty quickly when masturbating and even the textbook firm grip jerking off doesn't really feel pleasurable, and I'm diagnosed as autistic, so there are multiple potential causes.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Antidepressants and sexual health

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hello_world,

It's definitely possible that the SSRIs are at play here, since issues with arousal and orgasm are known side effects of some of them. Did you notice the orgasm troubles started around the same time as a particular medication?
hello_world
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him

Unread post by hello_world »

I think I was on paroxetine by the time I started getting these troubles, but I've tried a few SSRIs. I might be going off them soon, so that might be changing something.
Urna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Urna »

Hi hello_world,

Yes, Paroxetine does inhibit orgasm and arousal. It's highly probable that going off SSRIs will change things, as you said, so good luck!
<3333
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic