Refusing pregnancy test?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Refusing pregnancy test?

Unread post by Kela »

Hi,

So if you read through my posting history during my time here you’ll see I have a history of health and pregnancy anxiety. Out of all the years I’ve had health anxiety, I’ve never had cause to actually worry…until now…I have a thyroid lump that needs removing under general anaesthetic :(

Having never had surgery before, I’m obviously worried. And I know I’ll be asked to take a pregnancy test beforehand. But I want to refuse. Partly because I have a regular period and secondly because I still have major mental issues about sex, so I haven’t had penetrative sex since early 2020. And a fear of pregnancy. I’ve had 2 false positives in the past, the first was when I had a UTI and the second in 2015 I don’t have any explanation for, only that a subsequent drs test showed negative results, and I’ve had negative results ever since. I haven’t taken a pregnancy test since early 2016.

This operation is bringing up all sorts for me, and I’m getting worried about having a pregnancy test. What if it’s positive? I’m not having sex atm so if it’s positive it’ll be because I’ve got something seriously wrong like ovarian cancer causing it :(

I want to know If I am allowed to refuse the test? (I’m in the UK, so it’s an NHS op) If I do refuse will they force me to have one? I really really don’t want a cancelled operation due to my reluctance but I’m really worried about the pregnancy testing :( it’s triggering to me because of my previous trauma and pregnancy phobia. I’m worried if I get all cagey and reluctant they’ll think it’s because I am pregnant and refuse the operation.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Refusing pregnancy test?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kela,

According to the information I found from the NHS (you can see the page here: https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/ ... g-surgery/), nobody is required to take a pregnancy test before surgery. If you decline the test, they won't make you cancel the surgery; you'll be asked to sign a declaration that you made the decision to forgo the test, and then the surgery can proceed as planned.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Unread post by Kela »

Thanks for that Sam :D I did refuse a pregnancy test for a colonoscopy and it wasn’t a big deal, I know an operation is more serious but hopefully it’ll be straightforward to refuse again.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome, and I hope it goes well!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic