want to take birth control to help dysphoria but idk what to do.

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
p3beo
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Gay/bi

want to take birth control to help dysphoria but idk what to do.

Unread post by p3beo »

Im trans and periods have always made me extremely dysphoric but recently its been so much worse and every time i want to cry. I dont even feel comfortable calling it periods because it makes me so uncomfortable (so i just call it kommunistveckan lol). I want to start birth control so i dont have to deal with it anymore but all the options seem so bad and wont even guarantee that i wont have to deal with it anymore.
I dont want to take anything with oestrogen so that already rules out the combined pill and the patch. With my adhd it would be impossible to remember to take a pill the same time everyday so that rules out the other pill. The only 2 somewhat viable options for me is the implant or IUS. I want to avoid the implant so the only option left is the IUS but the whole process of the IUS will make me very uncomfortable. i dont want any doctor to touch me.

idk what to do. all options are terrible and i know i just need to get over myself and just do something or ill have to suffer with dysphoria instead.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: want to take birth control to help dysphoria but idk what to do.

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi p3beo! I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, kommunistveckan can cause dysphoria for many people, so you're not alone in that. While we are not medical professionals, so we can't give you actual medical advice, I'm going to suggest looking into depo provera (the shot) if you haven't already. One of the drawbacks is that it might not control kommunistveckan in the most predictable way (the IUD and pill are better for that), but many people experience it as little as every 3 months or even less often. It's also not recommended to be on it for too long because it could lead to decreased bone density, but it might be a short-term solution to look into. Do you have access to a trans-friendly healthcare provider?
P.S. my ADHD makes remembering the pill a nightmare, too, so I set alarms on my phone daily and make it a point to drop whatever I'm doing when the alarm goes off and go take the pill. I do still miss some sometimes, because, ADHD. But it works for the most part!
p3beo
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Gay/bi

Unread post by p3beo »

i didnt know that there was an injection. sadly i have a major phobia of needles :(
i dont think i have access to trans friendly healthcare providers but im not entirely sure how to go about finding out. my current doctor sees me as a woman even though they were the one to refer me to the gender identity service so i think the other doctors also see me as a woman :((
Urna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Urna »

Oof I'm really sorry to hear about your needle phobia. I don't think that there are any other legitimate solutions to your problem, but again, I'm not medically trained, so this is by no means the final word on the topic.

Since you're based in Sweden, which is an area I don't know much about in terms of trans-friendly healthcare providers, you could try this guide: https://mytranshealth.com/. I also found this official government site: https://www.rfsl.se/en/organisation/var ... ransvaard/. Is the information there helpful to you at all, or even new to you? If my colleagues have a better idea of things, I will ask them to write to you on this thread.

It really sucks that your doctors misgender you like this. I'm so sorry.
<3333
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic