On-time pill?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
space egg
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

On-time pill?

Unread post by space egg »

How important is it to take the combination pill on time? I use Yasmin FYI
I’ve been on summer break, so my timing has been inconsistent (eg: might take at 9am one day and then 2pm the next) but usually I take it at 7am every morning, but that hasn’t been for a pack or so. I haven’t missed one, just been inconsistent.
Just curious about effectiveness, is all. Not anxious unless I have a reason to be haha
Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: On-time pill?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Space Egg,

With the combination pill, you have a twelve hour window before a pill is even considered late. So taking it at 2 when you'd usually take it at 9 isn't going to damage the effectiveness.
space egg
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by space egg »

Thank you Sam! My apologies, I just want to clarify
Doing this every day doesn’t affect it? If so, why is it said that it must be taken at the same time every day?
Thanks!
Space Egg <3
Urna
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Urna »

Hello Space Egg!

I'll answer your question using a quote from this article:-
If you don't take it at exactly the same time -- but still take it on the day you're supposed to -- that won't make your pills ineffective: it's just a safer bet to take it around the same time to keep you in the habit to reduce the risk of you spacing out a pill on any given day. As well, with a medication like the pill that's all about rewiring a very specific process in your body that changes daily, taking it as close to the same time each day as you can helps to be sure your hormonal levels are as regulated as possible. If you want to be as close as you can to a perfect-use effectiveness rate, you'll want to try and take your pills within the same three-hour window each day.
So you do have some legroom in the three-hour window, it's not as if you absolutely have to take it at, say, 8 AM on the dot everyday.
<3333
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic