Gynecologist

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Lucy4
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender & Heterosexual

Gynecologist

Unread post by Lucy4 »

I am 28 and have never been sexually active. I'm not planning on being sexually active in the near future. I saw a gynecologist once after I turned 21 because I saw the recommendation for starting pelvic exams and pap smears at that age. I felt a little rushed making the appointment. I have been trying to gather some information before making another appointment. The recommendations for age 21 seem to be focused more on it being harmful if done earlier and not why for health reasons. Would a gynecologist or other source be able to give more details about why this is recommended besides just being past a certain age?
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: Gynecologist

Unread post by Carly »

Hey Lucy4 -- happy to give you some more information on this! Though I'm not a gynecologist myself, I can tell you that the reason routine pap smears and pelvic exams are generally recommended at 21 because they check for concerning physical issues and abnormal cells that are less common in those who are under 21. The doctor you end up seeing for your exam may have additional information about this recommendation; we can also continue talking about if you have any more questions.

Have you ever read our resource, Your First Gynecologist Appointment? Though this isn't your first, this gives a very good run-down on the most common procedures and their rationale that may be helpful for you as you make your next appointment.
Lucy4
not a newbie

Unread post by Lucy4 »

Thanks. I'm going to read more and make a decision from there. : )
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Carly »

Hey Lucy4 -- I'm glad that helped! When you talk about making a decision, what are you deciding between? Making an appointment and not making one? Just want to make sure I understand. If you want to weigh your options and hear more advice, let us know.
Lucy4
not a newbie

Unread post by Lucy4 »

I actually meant more like go forward from there instead of make a decision I realized later. 🙂 I’m in process of finding a doctor now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic