Plan B while on the pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
JuliaGallo
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: Portuguese or englis
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bissexual

Plan B while on the pill

Unread post by JuliaGallo »

Hi!
So I have been taking the pill for some years now, and had a really bad sinus infection the last month.
Because of the infection, I have been taking antibiotics for the past few weeks.
Me and my boyfriend had sex without a condom and he thought he might not have pulled out in time, just to be safe I took the plan B pill fearing the antibiotics might cut the birth control pill’s effect (I didn’t found anything saying that this type of antibiotic had any effect on birth control but was in super panic mode because we had never had condonless sex before).
This was about six days ago and my withdrawal bleeding from the pill is supposed to happen any day now. Should I expect it? Or will it not come because of the plan B?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Plan B while on the pill

Unread post by Mo »

Because Plan B can cause irregular bleeding or otherwise disrupt your regular cycle, we can't know for sure if your withdrawal bleeding will happen when expected. It may be late or absent this month, or it may be present but lighter or heavier than usual. What we often recommend is that people who take Plan B or other emergency contraception go ahead and take a pregnancy test, once one would be accurate, so that any worries about missed or irregular periods/withdrawal bleeds can be put to rest that way.
JuliaGallo
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My sense of humor
Primary language: Portuguese or englis
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bissexual

Unread post by JuliaGallo »

When can I take the test? It’s been six days since the risk happened
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi JuliaGallo,

That depends on the specific test you buy and its directions for when and how to test. You can read more about that here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic