Sensitive clitoris and hygiene

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
User00999
Pronouns: she/her

Sensitive clitoris and hygiene

Unread post by User00999 »

Hello,

my clitoris is very sensitive, to the point where I can't touch it directly (it hurts a lot). Plus, it's most if the time hidden by my inner labia. As a result, it causes me some hygiene problems: There's often smegma on the hood, I'm trying to wash it using the water pressure while showering (which is uncomfortable but not really painful), but it's complicated to apply soap on my clitoris...

I encounter this problem since I 'discovered' my clitoris at age 13 (I'm now 20). I never had infections and I don't really have any sensation of discomfort down here so apparently nothing to report, however I can't help but worry... Is my method of cleaning sufficient? Do you have any advice? Thanks in advance.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Sensitive clitoris and hygiene

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi there and welcome to the boards!
Do not worry, what you're seeing is normal and it sounds like you're cleaning enough. You shouldn't be using soap in that area (only around it, but not near the vagina). If you've never had any infections then you don't have to worry about your cleaning methods, seems like you're doing well! I would also not recomment adding too much water pressure to it because you could actually alter the natural bacteria that our vaginas are supposed to have. Here is actually an advice column of this exact same concern, with other helpful links in it:
My clitoris is an "innie" -- how can I keep it clean?
User00999
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Sensitive clitoris and hygiene

Unread post by User00999 »

Thank you very much for your answer! Very informative column.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic