Is it right?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
jenny01
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Is it right?

Unread post by jenny01 »

Hi! So I've been masturbating for a bit and I was a little worried about it since I'm a Christian and i didn't know if it was ok or not. But my bff(who is also a Christian) told me she masturbates too so that made me feel much better. But lately my younger siblings have had their hands in their pants and my parents keep getting at them to stop. They said it was "inappropriate". My siblings don't understand that masturbating is supposed to be private, so I can see why my parents say that. But is masturbating like bad for Christians? I really hope it isn't bc I really enjoy it.
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Is it right?

Unread post by Emily N »

Hey jenny01!

I want to be upfront and let you know that I am not a Christian or religious. But I do want to emphasize that masturbation is normal (for people of all ages), healthy, and very important for many people. It’s also important to recognize that you, and no one else, have the power to decide how masturbation and your sexuality connect within your faith.

I learned a lot from this article, which expands on masturbation as self care and how it relates to purity culture. One of my favorite quotes is “[masturbation] is not just normal but actively healthy, and we talk about it so we can normalize it! You are not a sinner of any degree for seeking out or giving yourself pleasure.” Does this help?
jenny01
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Re: Is it right?

Unread post by jenny01 »

Yeah it does. Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic