Accidentally cutting the inside of my genitals

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
BishoneninBloom
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I draw a lot of fan art and people seem to like it
Primary language: English
Pronouns: (mostly) he/him and (less) she/her
Sexual identity: Genderfluid, probably. Trying out 'pan'

Accidentally cutting the inside of my genitals

Unread post by BishoneninBloom »

This isn't fully about sexual health, but it is regarding the health of one of my sexual organs, so I hope this is the right board.

It's a tad embarrassing to admit, but I was cleaning myself a few hours ago (after using the toilet) and I had a shiver (idk how to best describe it but they're normal for me) and lurched forward a bit. Usually this wouldn't be interesting, except due to where my hand was (and the fact I rarely clip my nails) I think I accidentally cut myself inside my vagina/vulva (idk specifically where I couldn't tell from the outside but I don't think it was super deep or anything).

Right now, it doesn't really hurt at all, but when it first happened there was quite a bit of bright red blood (I put a period pad on, but it's not collected any since, suggesting the blood was from a cut rather than a period and also that the wound isn't bleeding)
However, I had to pee again a bit later (I drink a lot of soda, okay??? >.>), and whilst the urine didn't cause any major irritation and whilst I was mostly able to clean myself by being really careful, at one point I experimentally tried to wipe normally and it hurt (not like a dramatically toppling over, oh no I'm gonna die/my genitals are gonna fall off, just an "owwww I shouldn't have done that ow"). Also I can feel a mild injury if I sit in a particular way.

What I'm mainly asking is: is there anything I can specifically do to help it heal fast/avoid infection because I've heard this area is really easy to infect and I feel a cut (especially one that comes into contact with urine) is going to be really susceptible to infection and I don't really like messing with that area of my body (also I feel like sticking disinfectant there wouldn't be very good)

On a slightly more amusing note I now understand a joke I once heard about why lesbians can't wear long nail extensions. :|
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Accidentally cutting the inside of my genitals

Unread post by Mo »

Ouch, that does sound painful! The good news is that this sort of minor cut does tend to heal pretty well on its own as long as you can keep it clean. You're right that you don't want to put any sort of topical disinfectant on the cut; really all you need to do is make sure you're rinsing the area clean in the shower. If you find urine to sting a lot, you could even pat the area with a wet paper towel and then pat it dry with tissue paper after urinating. Make sure you're washing your hands before you touch your vulva at all (a good call at any time, but especially now), and it's best to hold off from masturbating or sex with a partner until after the pain's been gone for a day or two. Wearing underwear made from a breathable material like cotton can help as well.
BishoneninBloom
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I draw a lot of fan art and people seem to like it
Pronouns: (mostly) he/him and (less) she/her
Sexual identity: Genderfluid, probably. Trying out 'pan'

Unread post by BishoneninBloom »

Ok! That's pretty manageable

I think I've had minor injuries before, but never one self-inflicted or that caused visible blood loss, so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't accidentally make it worse.
I also remembered since posting that whilst damaged skin can let microorganisms through, substances in the vagina (as well as the tears in eyes) produces lysosomes (part of a white blood cell) that helps destroy pathogens. Which means as long as I keep the area mostly clean, it's not in as much of an infection risk as I first feared
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Yep, it's not likely to be a risky or dangerous injury at all. Genital tissue is very delicate but there's also a lot of bloodflow to the area as well, and minor cuts tend to heal pretty easily.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic