Bleeding

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Redrojo
Awesomeness Quotient: My wit.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Bleeding

Unread post by Redrojo »

Hello, question I'm not sure where to get answers to. Recently I have been bleeding when I masturbate. This is weird because it's never happened before. I've never been with any sexual partner, and I am not penetrating myself. It's bright red blood, like my period, but with no pain or symptoms of my period. I also take the pill, which controls my period, so it's the wrong time for it. Do you think this is something okay, or should I seek further help for it?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Bleeding

Unread post by Mo »

Hi Redrojo, and welcome to Scarleteen. :)
It's possible that if you're masturbating without much lube, a sharp fingernail could create a small cut or abrasion that is somehow bleeding without you noticing pain, but in general I'd expect that to hurt or sting at least a little bit so I don't know how likely it is.
Sometimes people will experience some spotting on the pill so that could be the cause of the bleeding you're noticing. Also, there are some STIs that can cause spotting so that's something to be aware of; if you aren't up to date on STI testing, then I think checking in with a doctor might be a good call. We can't know if that's the cause or not, but it's something to keep in mind.
Are you noticing this bleeding at any other times, or just during/right after masturbation?
Redrojo
Awesomeness Quotient: My wit.
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Redrojo »

Thank you for your reply!
I have been noticing the occasional spotting lately, like a weel before or after my period.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Redrojo,

In that case it's likely tied to you being on the pill, which would fit with the fact that this only started happening after you started on the pill. I'd just keep an eye on it, and if you notice the bleeding starts being accompanied by other symptoms, like painful urination, that would mean it was time to check in with a healthcare provider about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic