first gyno visit for a trans guy

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
togamisboy
Awesomeness Quotient: i have two cats!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: gay

first gyno visit for a trans guy

Unread post by togamisboy »

i have my first gynaecologist visit in the morning and i’m really scared. i’m an ftm trans guy and i am 14 for reference. my period has not stopped for six months and i’m feeling quite dysphoric and not really sure what to tell my doctor.

i cannot tell my doctor i am trans because my mother does not support me, and she likely will not leave me alone. what should i do?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: first gyno visit for a trans guy

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there. Welcome to the boards. Happy to help you out with this. Let's see what we can do to help you feel less worried and make your exam tomorrow as positive an experience for you as possible. <3

Let's start by seeing if we can't make this all easier by not having your mother in the exam room with you. It would be really unusual for a doctor or other clinician to allow someone else in with you during a GYN exam unless you asked for that person to be there. But it does still sometimes happen.

Do you have the ability to call into the office and let the receptionist know that a) you're trans, b) you're not out to your mother, and c) you do not want your mother present in your exam?

Per the latter, do you feel able to just tell her you want that exam private, by any chance?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic