Skipping Period on Multiphasic Birth Control

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
annabanana
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm about to graduate college!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Skipping Period on Multiphasic Birth Control

Unread post by annabanana »

Hi! So I have a camping vacation planned for early November and counting ahead, turns out I'm going to be on my period that week. Since I have some time, I'm trying to figure out a way to reschedule my period and find out what my options are.

I'm currently on a combination multiphasic birth control pill (Aranelle) and have been for over 5 years. I understand from my own research that skipping a period on multiphasic birth control is tricky and likely to result in breakthrough bleeding or a messed up cycle. I'm hesitant to switch to a different method of birth control because I've been very lucky to have no side effects at all from these pills. Can someone offer some insight on what I could do? Is there another brand I should switch to that isn't likely to cause side effects? Can I alter my schedule on the pills I'm currently taking in October and have that trickle down to November? Help!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Skipping Period on Multiphasic Birth Control

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi annabanana,

Have you spoken to your healthcare provider or pharmacist about this at all? If not, that's a sound next step, because they'll be able to walk you through your options and talk about how feasible trying to skip a period in that timeline and on this particular pill may be.

Too, it may also help to have a plan for what to do if you do end up having your period while you're camping. Are you tent camping somewhere with amenities, or is this more like backpacking?
annabanana
not a newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply! I do plan to talk to my doctor about this (and definitely won't be making any changes until I do), but I'm not going to be able to get in to see her until next month, so I just wanted to get a sense of what some of my options are so I can go to the appointment prepared with some ideas and questions.

It will be RV sort of camping, but without facilities (generator power only, and limited water). We will likely be out on trails all day and just returning to the camper in the evening. I looked into some longer wear menstrual products (cups/disks), but I'm concerned about having enough warm water to clean it properly. I actally tried the Flex disc since its disposable, but just couldn't get it to work for me (it only comes in one quite large size and even when inserted correctly it caused me to get sore after a few hours). Obviosuly being on my period for this trip isn't a deal breaker, and if that ends up happening I will figure something out! I was just wondering what some other options might be.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi annabanana,

At this point in time, depending on where you are at in your cycle, it might be tough to change your birth control in a way that would guarantee you'd miss your period that week. That's definitely a question for your doctor, though.

I'd also add that if you like this particular pill, it might be worth staying on it since other pills might cause side effects, as you know.

I did a backpacking trip once on my period and although it was a little annoying, it was okay. I used tampons the entire time and put the used ones in a sealed Ziploc bag. I and packed baby/cleansing wipes and hand sanitizer to use before/after changing tampons, since there wasn't easy access to water. Would tampons be an option for you?
annabanana
not a newbie

Hi,

Yes tampons will work as a last resort, I just don't like how frequently they need to be changed, and since I'm traveling with a group of guy friends it will be a little embarrassing trying to pack out baggies of used tampons or find the privacy needed to change them when we are away from the camper. Was hoping to find a solution so that I wouldn't have to stress about it. I was thinking that switching to a monophasic version of the same pill I'm on might be an option, especially since the trip is almost two months away but if not I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks anyways for the help!
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi annabanana,

Gotcha! I wonder if you can schedule a short phone call with your doctor earlier than your current planned appointment. She may be able to answer your questions and prescribe a different pill over the phone.

If you have to use tampons, we've got info here about how to use them/how often to change them:
https://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodi ... nstruation
https://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodi ... n_two_acts
annabanana
not a newbie

Good point! Yeah I'll see if I can give her a call. Thanks again!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic