When can I have sex after taking the morning after pill?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
PartySarah
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m a girl that likes to party
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

When can I have sex after taking the morning after pill?

Unread post by PartySarah »

I just recently started having causal sex again, and sometimes forget to have condoms when I have sex. I just had a one night stand without protection and ended up using the morning after pill? How long after taking the pill can I resume sex?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: When can I have sex after taking the morning after pill?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi PartySarah,

So, we recommend people refrain from having sex after taking EC for at least a few days, just for their own peace of mind. You can read more about why we recommend that towards the bottom of this article: Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill). Too, just to check, have you been talking with your partners about STI status? And are you getting tested regularly?

As far as forgetting condoms goes, what if you had a little safer sex kit that you always kept stocked? You could even make it small enough to be portable if you were going out. And, if you're planning on being sexually active for the foreseeable future, it might also be time to think about whether you'd like to get on a more consistent birth control method, like the pill or the IUD.
PartySarah
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m a girl that likes to party
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by PartySarah »

Sam W wrote:Hi PartySarah,

So, we recommend people refrain from having sex after taking EC for at least a few days, just for their own peace of mind. You can read more about why we recommend that towards the bottom of this article: Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill). Too, just to check, have you been talking with your partners about STI status? And are you getting tested regularly?

As far as forgetting condoms goes, what if you had a little safer sex kit that you always kept stocked? You could even make it small enough to be portable if you were going out. And, if you're planning on being sexually active for the foreseeable future, it might also be time to think about whether you'd like to get on a more consistent birth control method, like the pill or the IUD.
I have never heard of a safe sex kit, what would it contain, like just a condom and lube? How would it be small enough to carry out?

I don’t want to go on the pill because it changes your mood, also with a kid at home I don’t think I could always take it at the same time everyday. But i May go with a IUD. I haven’t been tested for years so I will set that up! I will check with my hookup about his sti status!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Safer sex kits can contain whatever you need them to, but single use packets of lube and some condoms are a good starting place. That way you can put a few in a small pouch or tin and carry them with you for the evening just in case.

If taking a pill reliably would be tricky, then something like the IUD or the Implant might be the way to go. If you ever want more information on those, we have a ton of it in Birth Control Bingo!. And yep, I would get that test scheduled ASAP, and ask your casual partner to do so as well if he hasn't recently.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic