Trusting Birth Control Pills

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
MigueLMichaeL
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I dont know
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Him
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Trusting Birth Control Pills

Unread post by MigueLMichaeL »

Hello! My girlfriend is about to start her third pack of the pill and recently I've been having troubles with trusting it as a form of contraception. I've been wondering, what are the chances of her getting period while on the pill? She hasn't missed a pill since day 1, starter her second pack a day earlier and I've discussed with her what kind of medications she needs to avoid. But from what I've seen there is still a very small chance of her getting pregnant, is there a way to avoid being the one percent?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Trusting Birth Control Pills

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi MigueLMichaeL,

If you want to reduce the chances of pregnancy while on the pill as much as possible, something you can do is backup with pill by using a condom. Combining the two methods is very, very effective, and you can read more about that here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method.

If you're having trouble trusting the pill, have you seen this article: Have a Little Faith in BC? It address some of the reasons people struggle to trust birth control and offers advice on how to manage those worries.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic