Any ideas?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Cosmakat
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Any ideas?

Unread post by Cosmakat »

For the past few months I have been having a weird amount of discharge from my vagina. It's pretty much clear and I can only describe it a being rather like mucus. I know these areas tend to have some mucus, but the large amount is just a bit ridiculous. I initially thought it would go away by itself, or that it was somehow connected to my period, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm not on any medication that may have caused it either. What's going on?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Any ideas?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Cosmakat,

Have you had a chance to look at this article: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions? It might help you determine whether what you're having is a normal kind of discharge or a sign of something like an infection. Too, does this happen more or less every day of your cycle? Or does it only happen a few days here and there?
Cosmakat
not a newbie

Hi Sam,

Having a look at that article, it falls into normal discharge in appearance, but I get it all throughout my cycle. It is noticable most days.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by al »

Hi Cosmakat,

If there's nothing else that feels off or fits the "abnormal" descriptors in that article, then it's possible what you're experiencing is just what your body feels it needs to keep itself healthy at the moment. The vagina really does have a pretty effective self-cleaning cycle. That cycle can change a bit depending on things like diet, exercise, hydration, sexual activity, stress, etc., so there are a few things that you can do to make the process a little easier:
- wearing cotton underwear
- not wearing underwear/bottoms at night
- bathing regularly, and not using any scented soaps/body washes to clean the vulva, and definitely not putting anything inside of the vagina
- drinking lots of water
- eating yogurt or taking probiotic supplements

Of course, if you're concerned, you can always check in with a healthcare provider about it! They can give you a second opinion, and if they see something they're concerned about they can run tests for STIs or bacterial infections and let you know if there's anything causing that discharge that might be harmful to your health.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Cosmakat
not a newbie

Hi Al,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a bunch!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic