Bleeding after 2.5 years on Mirena?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
lilyflower1
Pronouns: she/her

Bleeding after 2.5 years on Mirena?

Unread post by lilyflower1 »

Hello, apologies as English is not my first language so it may be little bit off!

I have an IUD inserted for over 2 years. Initially, I got it and bled for month then stopped. I have sometimes spotting very light not requiring anything to cover it and some light cramping. I had a partner for the last 7 years and have had clear STD testing etc several times while doctor testing for thrush as I had some issues with that but always had an all clear infections.

I began having sore cramping and heavy bleeding. It is enough to bleed through clothes. My doctor is unavailable to ask question right now, and I feel worried there could be something wrong. I have tried to look this up and there doesn't seem to be much information on it.

Could a potential side effect be of Mirena IUD random bleeding after so long? As soon as the doctor is available I will have a check up, but I've heard friends say it can be a common symptom! Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Bleeding after 2.5 years on Mirena?

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi lilyflower1, and welcome to the boards.

This is definitely a question for your doctor (or perhaps a different doctor if your usual one isn't available). While changes in bleeding and cramping aren't uncommon with an IUD, if these are sudden changes, that could mean that something has gone wrong. In very rare cases, an IUD can perforate the uterus.

Are you able to call your doctor or another one? I would reach out and ask them whether they think you should come in for an office visit to check that everything is okay.
lilyflower1

Unread post by lilyflower1 »

Thank you Amanda,

I called my doctor and they said they didn't think it sounded to be emergency therefore it could wait until things have calmed down a little! I tried to speak with a family planning clinic and they said it didn't seem like there had been anything except a hormone change but my doctor didn't tell me this was a side effect when I had it inserted.

I was before on a progestogen only pill and had bleeding with that after a few years so my doctor just suggested my body reacts this way to hormones but I wouldn't have had the IUD fitted if they told me!

The pain has eased thank fully from when it first began so I hope it could just be an side effect.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi lilyflower1,

Great - I'm glad you were able to get in touch with them! Great job taking your health into your own hands.

It's good that they didn't think this was an emergency. Indeed, these changes can be due to your body's unique hormonal balance and its response to the hormones in the IUD. Going forward, I recommend tracking any other changes that occur. If the cramping or bleeding become uncomfortable or unmanageable, you can always have the IUD removed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic