Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Help!!! EC effective in this case?? HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help!!! EC effective in this case?? HELP!
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

Icon 9 posted      Profile for FunkyGurL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, my bf and I were making out. We're both virgins, and I knew that if we were to have any sort of genital contact, condoms should be worn as a precaution. He had an erection and peed before he put on the condom. He was a little moist at the tip of his penis. Anyway, after peeing he put a condom on ,but being a virgin, he got it on the wrong way. While putting it on, we realised it was the wrong way so he flipped it over and wore it the right way this time. My concern is that could it make me pregnant as since it was on the wrong way at first, the outer part of the condom (after we flipped it out) had made contact with his penis and possibly his precum. I was on the last day of my period (just light spotting, but not visible on undies, visible only when I wipe myself after peeing).

As a precaution my friends advised that i get EC. So I got the EC called Postinor 2. Took the 2 pills correctly as advised, the 2nd one exactly 12 hrs later. But, having done some reading about Postinor 2 on the net, they said that anti-fungal medication might reduce the effectiveness of EC, and I happen to be on anti fungal drugs at the moment. So is it a possibility that I might get pregnant and EC might not work?! PLS HELPPPPPP!!!

Btw, we did not have penetrative intercourse. Perhaps only a few times his penis did poke at the entrance of my vagina and maybe went in about 1cm. My biggest concern is the condom having touched his penis which was moist from precum. HELPPPPPPP!! WOrried SICKKKK!K!K!!

Posts: 42 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds very unlikely to me that you could be pregnant because youre describing that "possibly his precum" touched the entrance to your vagina only. And you took Postinor-2 correctly. Only some antifungals may reduce its efficacy- which antifungal are you taking?

If you are still worried do a urine pregnancy test to put your mind at rest.

In the future if you put a condom on the wrong way, start over with a new condom. Its safer.

Good luck

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkyGurL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure which antifungal medication i'm taking. Doc didn't specify and I forgot to ask. Am on an antifungal cos i have fungal infection down there, cos of the humidity according to the gynaecologist. But it's an antifungal that I have to take once a week for 3 weeks.

So am I at risk? I read that if on antifungals, I should take a 3rd tablet of Postinor-2. But it's too late now anyway. So is there a chance that the Postinor might not work so effectively?

Posts: 42 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really have no pregnancy risk here. Your risk of sexually transmitted infections is much higher. If you and your partner haven't been tested for STIs, now would be a great time.

In the future, if he puts the condom on the wrong way the first time, he should just get a new condom.

Also, if you have a vaginal infection, it's always wise to take a break from any sort of sexual activity involving the genitals (yours, anyway) so you can heal.

Check it out;

Condom Basics: A User's Manual
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To
STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes
Testing, Testing...
What's the Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessments

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkyGurL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THank you! Was worried because I have a friend who is a virgin but got pregnant because her bf's precum was on her vaginal entrance and somehow the sperm entered her and became pregnant, so after hearing that, I'm paranoid...
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

Sorry if I sound paranoid but i have One more question...

so does this mean that I can continue taking my anti-fungal drugs and not worry that it might interfere with and counter the effectiveness of EC?

Pls reply!!

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

ok sorry if i sound really anxious, but someone (preferably an expert) please reply soon as I need to take my next dose of antifungal medication this tuesday so if someone could please reply before that, I'd really appreciate it!!
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you called your doctor and asked?

We don't know what your anti-fungal medication is, so it's really hard for us to say for sure.

Since it has been several days since your risk and you took the EC and the contact you may have had with pre-ejaculate was really minor, you're probably ok in terms of pregnancy prevention at this point. It would likely be worse to stop taking your medication (and thus have your infection become worse). So unless your doctor says not to take your next dose, you should probably go ahead and take it.

(Just as a note, it is NEVER a good idea to take a medication when you don't know what it is. If your doctor prescribes something or gives you something, make it a point to ask for the name (you may even want them to write it down for you). It is just not wise to put things into your body when you don't know what they are and you have no way of finding out or looking up information on it.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

ok found out what antifungal medication i'm on.

It's called Fluconazole (sold under the trade name called Diflucan).

Read up on Postinor-2 on the website, and it says that if on antifungal called griseofulvin, EC will not be so effective.

So does this mean that since i'm on Fluconazole and not griseofulvin, that I have nothing to worry about in terms of it reducing the effectiveness of EC?

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

A website about Fluconazole does reduce the effectiveness of birth control though. (But am not on that) So does it mean that it'll reduce the effectiveness of EC too??

I'm confused.. the more I read, the more confused I get! [Confused]

Pls help and pls reply soon to put my mind at ease please!

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll be fine. There is only one class of antibiotics that directly interferes with birth control, and fluconazole is not one of them. Others *may* reduce the effectiveness of birthcontrol, because some antibiotics can cause diarrhea and vomiting, which would reduce the time the HBC had to be fully metabolised.

The major ingredient in EC is one of the hormones in hormonal birth control, so it could, in theory, be affected that same way regular BC would be.

But unless you've had diarrhea or vomitted right after taking the EC, then you are fully covered. The EC should work fine, and it's effectiveness has not been compromised.

So you are all set.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

Thank you! I feel much more at ease now.

Don't know why though I felt a little nauseated yesterday and I woke up today really dizzy. As today is the 5th day after the whole situation above with my bf, I don't think it's possible that its pregnancy symptoms cos it takes at least 2 weeks right? Plus, as you guys said, I have no pregnancy risk.

Wonder if I'm feeling dizzy and nauseous cos of all the stress accumulated in the past few days??

Or could it be the after-effects of having taken EC?

Can I take anti-nausea/;dizziness medication after taking EC?

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

oh I forgot to add that I've took EC on the day of the 'risk' itself.. so could it be after effects of EC that i'm feeling sick? Or has it already been completely flushed out of my system by now..?
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There really are no symptoms of pregnancy other than a positive pregancy test, but yes, you are right, it would be way too soon to be feeling the effects of a pregnancy.

I would think that side effects from the EC would have been felt a few days ago, when you first took it. It would be fully metabolized out of your system by now, 5 days after taking it, so i don't think it's that.

I would chalk the dizziness and nausea to the stress. I know that when i'm stressed, or if i were worried about a situation like you are, i get a bad stomachache. That usually means I have no appetite, and therefore I don't eat, causing even more nausea and the dizziness from not eating. So how has your appetite been?

And yes, taking something for the nausea/dizziness should be fine.

If you continue to feel dizzy for more than 24 hours, or if you start to suffer from other symptoms, It might not be a bad idea to talk to a doctor. But making sure you are eating fine, and stop worrying should help immensly. [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

took something for nausea/dizziness, feel much better. Less stressed out perhaps.

I experienced a little spotting today (only visible when I wipe myself after peeing). According to the leaflet that came with the EC, Apparently it's normal for this to happen after taking EC?

Ok just need reassurance one last time from you experts out here... So based on everything described above, I really have nothing to worry about and that I have no risk of pregnancy right?

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Asargent's been right on the money; it sounds like you've got nothing to worry about.

(And yes, a bit of spotting is totally normal after taking EC.)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

erm ok. Yesterday I thought it was 'irregular spotting and bleeding' (as the EC leaflet said)... But now, it seems as if I've gotten my period again...? Is that possible??

I got my period on the 9th Nov, and it lasted til the 15th Nov (the day I messed around with my bf above) - don't know why this month was unusually long, cos my period usually lasts for just 3-5 days.

No wonder I felt dizzy yesterday cos Now just a couple of days (6days to be exact) after my last period, I seem to have gotten my period again?? Is this what the EC leaflet meant by 'upsetting the cycle' by the side effects? Is it healthy to have my period again just a week after my last period??

And which date do I expect my period next month? THe 9th or the 21st?

HELPP!!

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

Well, my 2nd period this month just about ended.... and only one medium flow day... the 1st and 3rd day was light.... so I guess that's to be expected since it's my 2nd period in a week right??

erm... anyone?? would someone pls respond to the question before this and to this question??

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Yes, it is possible for EC to sort of force your body to have a period. For the next few months, your period may be a little wonky, until your body regulates itself. So it's near impossible to tell when to expect your period next month.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

ok. So if I don't get my period this month (December -- the incident happened in Nov), it doesn't mean that I'm pregnant but rather because I took EC.... Is that right?

So if I don't get my period in Dec, I shouldn't worry that I might be pregnant...?

Pls reply!

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

erm...anyone?!
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

EC can mess with your cycle. It could cause you to have a really late period, or to perhaps even miss it.

Have you taken a pregnancy test yet?
It would be accurate at this point, as it's been more than 10 days.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

Is there any reason to take a pregnancy test though, given the situationdescribed above? I thought everyone said I was safe and had nothing to worrry about??

Plus I got my period 6 days after taking EC... which means that I had my period TWICE last month with just 11 days in between my first and second period (second period was just 2 days of spotting and 1 day of medium flow but i'm guessing that's normal cos it's the 2nd time i got my period last month..) So I don't think I could've been pregnant cos 6 days after the situation with my bf I got my period..

... so I don't think that there's a need to take a pregnancy test right?? Or is there?

FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

I'll be leaving for vacation tonight so if an expert could reply quick I'll really appreciate it so that I can have peace of mind when I'm on vacation....

thanks!!

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason why we're recommended you take a pregnancy test isn't because we think you're pregnant- it's because you can't seem to let go of your worries, and seeing a negative test result might help convince you for sure that you're not pregnant. You don't HAVE to take one, we just think it would help you.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkyGurL
Activist
Member # 35185

oh ok

Thanks so much!!

I got worried there for a second cos I thought the reason you guys asked me to take one cos there was a possibility that i might be pregnant...

*phewwww* [Smile]

So maybe I won't take a pregnancy test since you guys say I'm fine and that there isn't reason to worry cos I'm not at risk after all right?

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

You don't need to, but if it would help you, you can. [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.