Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Dog passed away today.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dog passed away today.
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am busy right now coping with the fact that my beloved dog, Stonewall, died today. [Frown]
I got home from school today to find that my dog was lying on his side doing the doggy paddle in an attempt to get up. I picked him up and laid him down on his pillow - only to find an hour later that he was on his side doggy paddling again. After that, I made an attempt to get Stonewall to walk on his own, to no avail. My mom then took him to the vet and she told me half an hour later that he died. I can only assume that he collapsed on the operating table. [Frown]

I was only 8 months old when Stonewall came into my life. Anyone been where I am at?

-jbf

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LivingLife1StepAtATime
Neophyte
Member # 80524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LivingLife1StepAtATime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through something like this a few years ago, and its very very very hard. The best thing I can tell you is to make yourself as busy as possible. I would run for miles and miles when my old dog died =/ Because I couldn't think and run. You'll be ok I promise. Stonewall will always be in your heart<3
Posts: 24 | From: US; East Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have. When I was twelve my cat, who had been in our family all my life, died rather unpleasantly from stomach cancer. I loved that cat like crazy and I was really devastated, as was my mother.

It sounds like you loved your dog a lot, and so I'm sure you gave him a good life. That's something to take comfort in. And you won't forget him, I assure you. You grew up with him and he probably helped to shape some of your attitudes to animals and all sorts of things.

When you are going through grief like this, there's nothing that can make it much better. It's just that time passes and then one day you wake up in the morning and it's not the first thing on your mind. You still have that wound and you always will, but it's not so raw and all-consuming.

Let yourself cry and be miserable, or stare at photos, or go about your business as usual, or hug your family, or not talk about it -- whatever it is you want to do, go ahead and do it. Anything is OK. People react to bereavement in all sorts of ways.

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We gave him a good life, despite that he had diabetes, an ulcer in his eye, and more recently arthritis. This stress had made me not focus in school.

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonicTwelve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry to hear that justinbieberfan, for me losing very beloved animals has been every bit as hard as losing close family members. Sometimes people say, "oh just get over it, it was only an animal," but I find the best way to deal with that is to remind myself that they are only able to think that because they haven't been fortunate enough to experience the kind of relationship with an animal that makes losing them so difficult.
Stonewall was a hugely special member of your family from when you were very little. You have every right to take as much time as you feel you need with this and to grieve however feels best to you.
Hugs.

--------------------
~~Caitlin

"Oh baby I said,
It's all in our hands,
Got to learn to respect,
What we don't understand,
We are fortunate ones,
Fortunate ones, I swear."

Posts: 61 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovetheatre
Neophyte
Member # 93298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovetheatre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you're feeling. My dog Luna just died on New Year's Eve. I was at my friend's house, and she was hit by a car. She always waits patiently when the car door is opened and she's never ran out of the car, but she did that one day. I am still devastated. She was my best friend. I was suicidal and I cut myself just over a year ago. Then, I got Luna. She made me so happy. We did everything together. We did agility, obedience, canine freestyle, and I taught her over 20 different tricks. She was a wonder dog, and I love her so much. I still cry every night, and I sleep with her favorite toy and her dog tags every night. She was such a good puppy, and I didn't have enough time with her on this earth. I know she is in a better place with my mom and my old cat, but it still hurts so much to think that I'll never see her again on this earth. I love my Luna-Loo so much.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I posted on your other post, but I just want to let you know I read this and it really does sound like she was so loved and happy all her life. My very best wishes to you, ilovetheatre, in your healing journey and blissful Luna memories.

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris
Neophyte
Member # 94957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm struggling right now because we're probably going to have to put my dog down. He's only four and such a sweetie around people he knows, but has bad fear aggression and recently bit a stranger. I don't know what to do, or how to deal with the fact of what we are going to do. Stuff is hard I guess. You are not alone.
Posts: 10 | From: Southwest WI | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry, Liv. Euthanizing pets is really hard, especially in a situation like this.

Most typically, though, one bite won't result in legal action being taken that forces this outcome. Has your family talked to your vet or animal shelter about all the ways you can cope with this, like training?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67118 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.